Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Answer: don't use SVN if you care about branching a lot.

More correct answer: don't use SVN if you care about merging after branching.

Why you would branch without merging I guess is an exercise left to the reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Can't you run a soft update and get the list of files that way?

Also why do you want automated builds to run flawlessly on uncontrolled environments? If people are polluting the checkouts, cleanliness isn't something you can guarantee, right?

Or you want a workflow that's equivalent to making a fresh checkout and then applying a local modification atop it and trying to build that, but without the cost of an entire checkout?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

git = good for decentralized; good for merging
svn = good for centralized; windows integration via tortoise; good for naive merging

I would recommend SVN if your case.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Lysidas posted:

Hell, this happened a few pages ago in this thread. At the time, I wasn't as experienced with Git and I hadn't yet Seen The Light. Now that I have, I'm an enormous jackass to anyone who suggests starting from scratch with Subversion.

I'm concerned that this is me now since I initially recommended Subversion and I have zero experience with Git. Just going off of gut and old initial reactions of Git when tool support was still very fresh. Times have since changed, obviously.

I'm not opposed to learning Git, but I just have no impetus to! My office uses Subversion and I know with our "schedule" and calibur Git would be out of the question. And, I don't have the cycles or motivation to take up an open source project that uses Git.