Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
At work we just started using subversion (were using Serena Version Manager which is horribly bad), we went with subversion because it has more integration with other software (their requirement not mine) than mercurial/git (our second choices). Regardless, easy sailing so far with SVN.

My question is, what are good Subversion GUIs for OS X? I know there is Versions and svnX, but wanted to know you guys' experience with these and/or other tools. I am very comfortable with the command line and don't really care for SVN GUIs (although Tortoise has spoiled me silly), but my team isn't so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

MononcQc posted:

One architect where I work has got some kind of idea he suggested on the corner of a table a few weeks ago, basically replacing the database back-end of a web-service for text and html documents with either git or mercurial.

Past the loss of full-text search (which could possibly be done anyway by decoupling stuff) and the fact it is hackish to no end, the idea didn't sound that bad; you get versioning for your documents, can distribute and sync them, can use permissions, can edit them even if offline, etc.

Have anyone ever heard of a similar project being done? I'm looking for success and/or atrocious failure stories.

Why not use a document database like CouchDB or ThruDB? ThruDB seems specially oriented toward what you want.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Janin posted:

That's like saying I can run SourceSafe natively in Linux, because it works in Wine. I don't want to install GCC/Bash/etc just for a source-control system.

I don't think you "get" msysgit.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sartak posted:

I just converted nearly all of my repositories to git. :sigh:

I am working on this right now, with an svn frontend so our retarded multi-thousand-dollar project management crapware can see it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

nobleclem posted:

We use SVN and I would consider moving us to git however two things keep me from pushing it... 1) Server Admins, 2) No good mac GUI's for the designers.

Just today a designer updated a file and pushed it into production however this file was updated for a major change before she made her update. So that change was not done and well it broke some poo poo. So I had to find and revert the file. Now what would be nice is to be able to utilize branches. I think git would work better for our environment but would need to run some tests.

Ahh the joys of working with those who use the other side of their brain.

at least gitX is 10x better than svnX.

For us we can't get Versions because one of the reasons they let us switch to something not absolutely poo poo (that we pay thousands for) is because we promised it'd cost nothing.