Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006
Wow, Google Code has had Mercurial support since the end of April:

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/04/mercurial-support-for-project-hosting.html

I know I'm late to the party but it caught me by surprise. I'm probably not the only one who didn't know. I wish they supported Git but it's cool to see them supporting any DVCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

They ripped out Mercurial's native storage implementation and made it a wrapper around BigTable, which isn't something you can easily do with git.

I had read through their analysis (http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DVCSAnalysis) and I totally understood why they went with Mercurial over Git. I'm not saying they *should* have gone with Git, just that I wish they had gone with Git since I like both Git and Google Code.

Strangely enough they didn't seem to think porting the file store to BigTable was any harder with either.

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Ferg posted:

Despite it's tendency to get bogged down from time to time, I actually prefer GitHub over Google Code personally. It targets more of the atmosphere I would like from a public code repository than Google Code does.

Yeah, GitHub is pretty awesome. I just wish they would stop using so much Flash on their site (actually I wish they would stop using Flash completely). For me, the big thing Google Code has going for it is that it's Google and it's safe to say they're not really going anywhere. I'm not so sure about GitHub yet, but who knows SourceForge is still around and I have no idea what keeps them afloat.

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

Does anyone else here use git for large files? It does take a while for the repos to push to the backup server, but I've been using it to keep my Logic Pro tracks version-controlled. It's also AWESOME for collaboration, because we can branch the project and I could work off my own branch while my collaborator(s) can work off theirs simultaneously. I chose git based on its ability to make branches and merge them easily, because working collaboratively I have a feeling that such functionality will be crucial to our workflow.

I've also heard good things about mercurial. What benefits does it have over git? Does it handle large repos (about 1-2GB each) well? How about large files? Does it branch/merge well? My one qualm with git is that it takes a little while for everything to transfer over (like 15-20 minutes or more), can mercurial offer faster transfers or am I going to experience this everywhere due to this repo's large size?

Where I work we have a beast of a repo containing many bad decisions that we recently converted to Git. The bare repo is just under 5 GB and we have many files in there that are over 100 MB and Git still stays quick (previously it was in SVN and I was interacting via Git-SVN and it was still fast). As long as you're using a good transport mechanism (HTTP only got "good" in recent versions of Git) transfers will be pretty fast.

edit: I should add that we use it for code mostly and our big files are 3D models and various libs that we need to compile our code. Our binary files don't change very often. It looks like you'll be working with binary files exclusively. Git will try to be smart about delta compressing changes but I wouldn't necessarily expect the same performance as people using it mainly for code. I'm pretty sure it'll work fine though.

samiamwork fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 25, 2011

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Dooey posted:

I accidentally entered "git config --global core.autocrlf = false"

Now, when I try to enter "git config --global core.autocrlf false" I get:

true
error: More than one value for the key core.autocrlf: =

What did I do? And how do I fix it?

You probably now have a wonky line in your global config file. Whenever I do stuff like that I just open the config file and edit the bad line by hand:

code:
git config --global -e