Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

slipped posted:

for what its worth, clearcase handles DB2 well, and I can't imagine git svn or any other RCS being able to handle a project of its size without some _serious_ changes to the current structure of things.
The entire Linux kernel source history is in git, and I can't imagine DB2 is a larger project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

uXs posted:

(And squashing history is even worse: you're not only changing history, you're actually destroying it. Destroying history in a version control system, think about it. Eww.)
Rebasing lets you avoid commits with messages like "oops, forgot to actually add the file" or "missed a typo in the previous commit".

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Help, an installer asked me to make a choice about how to install something!

quote:

Git pulls the entire repository to the hard disk of the user, so that all versions of all files are on your own system. The advantage of this is that you can do version control while being offline. That’s pretty nice, but not really relevant to my situation. I’m almost never offline when I’m coding. So I will be dealing mostly with the disadvantage of this approach: a lot of wasted hard disk space.
This is wrong, SVN wastes a huge amount of space, even though it doesn't it doesn't have the complete history.

According to this, git averages 1/2 the size of svn: git's versus svn's storage efficiency

quote:

All projects for which git is less storage efficient, are smaller than 100Kb. The projects for which git is most storage efficient (up to even 6 times for a certain C# project), are all of medium size (10–100MB) and code-heavy. For the other projects, which are blob heavy (eg. images), git and subversion are close (git beats svn by ~20%).

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 14, 2011

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Corny posted:

That's still a dumb decision. If things are going the way I see them going, SVN will be replaced by Mercurial instead of Git, and Linus will have wasted two years of his life building Git while ignoring the platforms that the rest of the world was using.
Linus Torvalds spent 4 months working on git (April-July 2005), while still working on the kernel, and then handed over development to Junio Hamano.

You're underestimating how many developers there are on Mac/Linux.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Corny posted:

Rest of the thread: are you sick and tired of my little bitchfest yet?
Yes. We've all pretty much written off your opinion by this point.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

The takeaway here is that Mercurial isn't very good at handling large files. I'm sure that if I had a more beastly server with something like 4gb+ RAM, I would've been just fine, but know that Mercurial uses memory proportional to each file size on the receiving machine when pushing a repo.
You may want to look into hg's Large files extension to handle these things more efficiently.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

I almost never amend due to that I failed to figure out a way to get it to not ask me to edit the commit message each time, so making a new commit after every save and then squashing them later involves less disruption while working on things.

code:
git commit --amend --no-edit

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

here, this will replicate the SVN experience:

git config --global --bool pull.rebase true

(you probably shouldn't actually do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

epalm posted:

Awesome!

(What I actually needed was pretxnchangegroup)

You might find pretxncommit is slightly easier (you don't have to iterate through the changesets).

I wrote an incoming hook to implement that sweet GitHub feature where issues are closed or referenced when commits mention them for our local Jira instance. :toot:

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 9, 2014