Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

samiamwork posted:

Wow, Google Code has had Mercurial support since the end of April:

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/04/mercurial-support-for-project-hosting.html

I know I'm late to the party but it caught me by surprise. I'm probably not the only one who didn't know. I wish they supported Git but it's cool to see them supporting any DVCS.

They ripped out Mercurial's native storage implementation and made it a wrapper around BigTable, which isn't something you can easily do with git.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apparently y'all misunderstood the purpose of rebasing.

It isn't intended to avoid merges, it's intended to avoid excessive merges.

i.e. it is the difference between this:
code:
A---B---D---F---H------K---L---N
    \        \      \     /
     C---E---G---I---J---M
and this:

code:
A---B---D---F---H---K---L---------------N
                         \             /
                          C---E---I---M

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2010

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's nothing scary about fast-forward merges, it's just the simple observation that when you merge A <- B <- C <- D <- E into A <- B <- C, you don't actually have to do any work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a single branch and different targets in your build system that output the free and paid versions?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ISTR something about github's implementation of git being a rewrite from scratch in Erlang or some other functional language.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like git gui more than git add -p.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Abusing git's diff hunk header generation to figuring which functions were changed is a terrible idea, simply because git has no knowledge of the source language's syntax.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OAuth keys aren't like DVD CSS keys, they can be easily revoked and replaced with no real impact on anybody at all.

And nobody really bothers to reverse engineer binaries for them, because they just aren't that interesting to begin with.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rebase creates new commits, complete with new timestamps.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

git push also has a --delete option.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you change your cgh alias to "git symbolic-ref HEAD", it'll work anywhere, not just the top level directory.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That isn't what that's for, though, and may cause you problems later.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You append .template or .original or somesuch to the file name and rename or copy the file during deployment.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You can use git notes to add notes to commits. git log, git show, etc. will show them as if they were a part of the commit message.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bungie's contract with Activision stipulates that Activision will supply them with sufficient Perforce licenses to complete their project.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What tools aren't respecting mailmaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Neither CVS nor SVN required a server in the sense that there had to be a daemon listening on a port somewhere -- CVS could directly operate on a shared directory, and SVN had multiple backends including file://, [url]http://[/url] and svn+ssh://.

But they did require a "server" in the sense that there was a centralized repository somewhere that did the revision control and you use a client to checkout a fragment of that to do work and all your interactions were relative to that server.

Contrast that with a DVCS like git, where your local copy of the repository is a complete history of the project (ignoring things like shallow clones and git-lfs), and all your interactions are relative to your local clone. And then on top of that your local clone might have relationships to other repositories and you can use your repository to modify those other repositories.