Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

There's also a very good book on Mercurial by Bryan O'Sullivan, worth czeching out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That is actually literally true. Many companies, when faced with two products that are equivalent, will pick the one that they have to pay for, sometimes even if the free one is better. It's a culture thing I guess. Also a stupidity thing.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

This is a constant back and forth discussion here on SA. People will claim how you should use SVN because it's "good enough" and "you don't need more". Even after being faced with arguments that distributed version control systems can do pretty much everything that centralized ones can do and that they can do it better.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Milde posted:

The only real reason not to use Git or Mercurial is if you need to version large binaries.
This is pretty much it. Or if you need some crazy integration with your lame IDE that only works with SVN.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, if you have everyone already using SVN and the team has found a good workflow, switching to another VCS just isn't worth it sometimes. However, we're mostly saying about new projects.
Also, in my experience, Mercurial has a much easier interface than git, so mostly I'd recommend going for it over git if you have several people that have to learn a new VCS.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

On the other hand, if you need Windows support (and you're not working on a project that already uses git), Mercurial might be your thing. Bottom line, both Mercurial and git are great, everything else is a matter of personal preference I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

In hg, I want to see all the files that were changed from revision 40 to revision 41. I don't want to see the diff contents, I just want to know which files were changed. Currently, I do:
code:
$ hg diff -g -r40:41 | grep "^diff"
and then get back

code:
diff --git a/foo.hs b/foo.hs
diff --git a/bar.hs b/bar.hs
diff --git a/baz.hs b/baz.hs
This works, but is this the proper way of doing this or is there a better way?