Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Janin posted:

You can give each branch its own directory, so generated temporary files won't get mixed up between branches.
This is terrible, that means when I'm doing development of say, Django, I'd need to muck with my python path since the location of my code would change. Learn to manage your own files properly, I've never once had this temporary files issue.

Janin posted:

It works well on Windows, without having to install a Linux emulation layer, and comes with a GUI if that's your bag.

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Janin posted:

You don't have to put them in different directories -- you can always just use the Git way where everything's mashed into one directory, if you want.

Using your Django example, how do you manage changes to the database? I assume you have different database/settings/cache/etc files for each branch, to avoid cross-contamination, and using a merged directory requires lots of temporary "commit; switch; uncommit; commit; switch; uncommit" cycles (which take bloody ages). In Bazaar, I just "cd ../otherbranch".

SQLite is just a file and it's managed in a different repo from my actual work on Django itself.

Janin posted:

As for Python paths, if you can't figure out how to use relative paths, maybe the problem is you.

What? I keep django in /home/user/django_src/ what would you like me to set my python path to such that everything would Just Work(tm) if I were to move it to be in a different directory?

Janin posted:

That's like saying I can run SourceSafe natively in Linux, because it works in Wine. I don't want to install GCC/Bash/etc just for a source-control system.

deimos siad this better than I. Surely you're joking?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Janin posted:

Git's written in C, shell scripts, and Perl. Unless msysgit is a rewrite of all the scripts into C, it will require a UNIX shell, supporting binaries, and Perl to be installed.

It's just one installer, so yeah.

Janin posted:

And the rest of the file types I mentioned? Not every project is so self-contained that there are no cache or temporary files generated.

I don't understand this? Delete your temp files, keep them in the repo, or use git stash. You seem to be arguing that people have files that need to exist in the same directory as the repository, need to be long lived, and aren't actually part of the repository.

Janin posted:

If you've got a project you're devloping in ~/django_src/, then instead of hardcoding "/home/user/django_src" into testing scripts, just add the project's current directory to the Python path.

I don't hardcode anything to my other scripts, they simply import django. I have ~/django_src/ on my python path, however if that's a moving target I have to be constantly moving my pythonpath, you seem to be acting deliberately obtuse.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
http://bitbucket.org/plans/ offers 1 free private repo.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Allegedly it scales better to super large repos. I can only assume companies have ridiculously large repos as we know something like Git must be able to handle at least the size of Linux or GNOME.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

NotShadowStar posted:

Is Trac pretty much the best game around when it comes to source browsing & ticket management? I'm using Github for public stuff but for internal projects that have no need to be put out into the public I've been using SVN and thinking about Trac (although it's kind of :psyduck: to get working under FastCGI)

Trac is my second favorite. With my first being still in development trac replacement :/ I use my thing exclusively for my personal, and not yet public code, but I'm hoping it'll be able to full on replace trac/redmine/everything else full on by the end of the year.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Tulenian posted:

Am I being a pansy for not wanting to use Git on Windows due to my love of TortoiseSVN? It sounds neat but the lack of a good Windows Explorer plugin for Git (or even just decent Windows command line support) is really just killing my desire to use it on a new personal project.

There is: http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ . I've never used it though, I'm a cmd line *and* Linux whore.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Is your problem that the directory exists, period, or is it that it's showing up in your git status output when in the master branch?

As you mentioned, the latter can be fixed by ignoring it: you can create a top level .gitignore file, which is itself versioned, and thus can differ between branches.

The former can be "fixed" by running git clean (which has options, read up on 'em, you'll probably need to do e.g. git clean -fd) but I can't recall offhand if you'd need to do that every time you checkout master, or if there's a shortcut for it, or what.

I use git clean -x -f -d for handling cleanup of cross directory stuff. I also have a rmpycs alias available to me at all times.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Pardot posted:

Also check out chapter 9 of pro git. It's written by githubber Scott Chacon. I've only skimmed it and the whole book looks good, but ch 9 has all those diagrams I've seen him use at the ruby conferences and such which were a big help for me.

Similarly the talk by Chris Wanstrath at DjangoCon (it's up on djangocon.blip.tv) is a good resource for the conceptual identity of git. Scott also gave a talk at pycon, avialable at pycon.blip.tv, that's good (it's about DVCS in general).

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
git checkout your_branch your/file/path.txt

this will copy that branches version of this file, and replace your current directories version of it.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
git tracks renames AFAIK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
mercurial transplant == git cherry-pick