Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
And nobody wants to use a submodule?
Is repoA going to change much in ways repoB either does or doesn't want? ie, do you want to let folks check repoA out on its own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Just started a new job, first week in. Cloned a repo and saw two developers committing to main - one with frequent, poorly worded commits, the other one having pulled, merged and discarded the other devs changes and pushed back up.

So. Yeah. I don't really have a question I guess except maybe how justified am I to immediately and unilaterally lock down main and require PRs with mandatory reviews? Anywhere between Totally and 100% Absolutely, right?

Maybe they have a separate "developed" branch that they merge into when they are ready to release the code they've developed?

If everyone is a senior dev and depending on how the code is used, you can maybe get away with requiring PRs but not requiring approvals.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I may be wrong but rebasing dev seems particularly dangerous. My recollection is rebasing is poo poo if you have a lot of branches or the code has been pulled to multiple locations.
Pre rebase, most branches see the code as
code:
A --- B --- C (main)
\
 D -- E (mydev)
If you have branch X coming off E, then you rebase E, then you try to merge X into E, it will see that the E you're trying to merge into is not the E in its history and it will not know how to do the merge.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, you're right, now I remember. Doing it on your own branch is generally fine, but one time I had pulled someone else's feature branch so I could help them out, and when they rebased it ended up meaning I couldn't just pull in the branch I ended up needing to blow up some stuff and start over.
I think the rule we settled on is just don't rebase if your mydev branch has been pushed or branched off of.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Maigius posted:

I still see the branch name, I was in the middle of a merge with a bunch of conflicts when I hit the disconnect option.

It sounds like the Git part is fine, but Eclipse has set itself to ignore Git or forgot how to access git. Hope that tells you where to start looking.
The git info is all stored in .git which is in the project directory, there isn't much subtle going on there, and it sounds like .git is fine or the command line would be giving you issues.