Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

MononcQc posted:

There would be all kinds of scaling complications like sharding [...] which would make it impractical for anything but a small personal blog or for a similar concept.

I hate that everyone is so obsessed with scaling. If you make it as big as Google then you can afford to worry about scaling. Killing novel ideas because they might not scale to thousands of concurrent users is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

That this is the first mention of darcs makes me sad.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Sebbe posted:

Any recommendations for something I can easily set up, preferably on a HostGator shared account (not likely, it seems) or some sort of free hosting site (Like GitHub and Google Code, for instance, only allowing for private projects without paying a subscription)?

http://patch-tag.com offers github for darcs. Dunno about private projects.

supster posted:

Yep, using SVN. :(

You could use svk or git-svn, both of which have interactive commit functionality. svk ci -i and git add -p. There would be a lot of other benefits, like every operation not being slow as gently caress.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I want to have a release branch with a bunch of dummy config files, and a regular working branch with fleshed-out versions of those same config files

We solve that one by having two config files: config.yml which is versioned and site_config.yml which is not. site_config trumps config. If you're using Perl then Hash::Merge is perfect for combining the configs.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

I just converted nearly all of my repositories to git. :sigh:

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

You can also use git svn fetch -r3950 to treat everything before the first 3950 commits as one huge commit, which is fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Pesch posted:

Are you supposed to create one SVN repository to put all your projects in, or are you supposed to create a seperate SVN repository for each of your projects?

Either works just fine.

If you want to give someone a commit bit to just one project, Subversion supports that. Keeping everything in one repository makes certain operations like testing and debugging multiple projects easier. You can checkout a specific revision of each project, rather than fooling around with correlating revision numbers with timestamps.

I don't recall any specific benefits of a separate svn repository for each project.