Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
If, like me, you use Bitbucket for Mercurial hosting, and if, like me, you would like it if they supported the "largefiles" Mercurial extension, please add your vote (and optionally a comment) here:

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/3843/largefiles-support-bb-3903

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

paberu posted:

Sadly Mercurial doesn't like working with large files (anything over 10mb), so my choice is either Perforce or SVN for the assets.
Mercurial can work with large binary files if you use and enable the largefiles extension, but most hosted Mercurial services I'm aware of don't support it yet. To that end, please see also http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3113983&perpage=40&pagenumber=47#post420349970

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

It's pretty loving terrible. You need at least one person dedicated full time to getting clearcase to work, possibly a team of two-four.
I wish to add that this is by no means an exaggeration. Unless ClearCase has fundamentally altered in the past oh, let's say seven years, that dedicated singular resource-to-team-sized ClearCase admin/troubleshooter is the only thing keeping ClearCase minimally sane.

I've heard it said that ClearCase is more a toolset for building your own version control system than providing you one, but no one I know who has used it has used it that way to better effect than almost any other VCS you care to mention.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Tequila Bob posted:

Has anyone here used Fossil? I'm liking what I read about it so far, and I might use it on some side projects to see how it goes. If anyone has any experience with it, or any major disadvantages to watch out for, I'm all ears!
Yup, love it, and I sometimes selectively try to convert others, but usually in small ways (personal projects, etc.) at first because of the impact of network effects and path dependence for most people WRT existing VCSes they're usually already using.

And while I say "love it", that's really more a holistic statement in that I find Fossil's basic DVCS functionality unobjectionable in general as a baseline (and with better UI/UX at the command level than Git, but YMMV), the robustness of the underlying SQLite file format, and then on top of that I get all of the rest of the end user functionality in terms of the web interface, bug tracking, wiki, all-in-one executable, etc., etc. That really seals it for me.

(I should probably say I'm a very basic user of Git, if that matters. And of course I use Git because I have to if I want to consume and/or work with other projects that use it; but this is an old gripe of mine from back in the CVS days: you will eventually have to learn every VCS that at least one project [that you interact with in that way] uses. And yes, for me at least, this still does include CVS. Anyway, as for personal preferences: besides Fossil I also use Darcs too.)

minidracula fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 11, 2024