Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outlaw Programmer
Jan 1, 2008
Will Code For Food

Belgarath posted:

The Sourcesafe integration with Visual Studio handles all that at the moment (when you edit the file, it checks it out and makes it writeable, vice-versa on check-in), although as you say, it is a concern of mine that once I break that link, things could go a little haywire. I'm not sure if Visual Studio will make a file writeable that it doesn't think is under version control.

You might want to setup 2 IDE projects for this, 1 hooked into VSS and 1 where you'll manage things on your own. You can use the VSS one to do small changes and checkin/checkout via the IDE. When you want to get git involved, do a manual checkout on all of the files involved via the standalone VSS client, create your git repositories, then use that 2nd IDE project. When you're done, push the completed files from your git repo back to your VSS working dir and checking via the VSS client.

That said, I think this is a pretty crazy idea. You're probably going to run into issues when you start moving and renaming files, 2 things which VSS is notoriously bad at. You also need the foreknowledge of which files you want to checkout from VSS before you start working on your feature. Once the scope expands, you may find you need a file that someone else is already working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU