Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

nelson posted:

:ohdear: you may want to go with CVS.

What is this? What is this post? Advocating CVS? Are you mad? Lunatical? Trolltastic? Uninformanic? Have you, are you, what you, CVS, what have you? Did PC do pituitary pregnant? Where was clownburger when misdrop ice cream codes?

nelson posted:

I've managed to screw something up every VCS I've come in contact with :doh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I use git on windows, I can open up a git bash shell or use the git gui and it works fine. What's the big fuss all about?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

epswing posted:

I haven't used the git gui in 6 months, but if nothing's changed I think tortoisehg knocks it out of the park.

How dare you attack my self-image by suggesting that there's software I use that works better on Windows!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Mithaldu posted:

Actually, i can explain 4 words why having a dev and a master branch is counter-productive: You cannot bisect (sanely)!

It seems to work fine for me.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I'd rather traverse a dag than a flattened dag. By the way rotor, this isn't YOSPOS, you're allowed to use capital letters here.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
This is just ridiculous, git is perfectly suitable for day-to-day use. Have you noticed all the people using it? It's not hard at all. All you need for basic use is git pull, git push, git checkout <branch>, git add <file>, git commit, and git merge <branch>. And occasionally, git checkout <commit>. You can't get more minimalist in a version control system than that. If you want more advanced use, there's some more :airquote: advanced :airquote: things you could do that make your life easier. People who find this confusing are not qualified to be programmers.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The only SCM better than git is monotone.

If somebody could rewrite the backend of monotone I'd be grateful.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Ithaqua posted:

It does seem like there's a horrible elitist attitude in the Git community that if you don't like it, it means that you're a stupid lovely idiot who has no business being a professional developer.

There's nothing wrong with being elitist. It's not whether you like it, it's that if you find git to be too difficult to use productively, you are indeed a stupid idiot crap-for-brains. That's not some controversial opinion, it's simply true. Even if Mercurial is better.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Nobody is saying that git is a manly IT challenge. It's not a challenge. It's not difficult.

Edit: For example, I've never met in person or worked with anybody that had any trouble getting up to speed with git. Where are these people? Who are these people? How do you find them and can they even code?

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 20, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

hirvox posted:

If I had to re-do that project with Git, I would probably have had each feature development take place in a separate branch,

What is really disturbing is that there are people developing software right now that don't use a separate branch for each (non-trivial) feature.

Sir_Substance posted:

There are lots of developers who like to place themselves on some kind of abstract programming leaderboard. Points are theoretically conferred within this clique by perceived skill and knowledge.

The superiority claimed is not in knowing how to use git. Nobody believes that's anything special. Nobody is valuing and 'down with slavery' seemingly isn't valuing having knowledge about git or the present ability and skill to use git. What people here opine, rightfully, is that people who struggle with git's interface or its concepts, and continue to do so weeks and months into working with it, are abject retards. Nobody is saying, "Oh, I'm so much better than these retards." They aren't on the radar, on any sort of abstract programming or practical programming totem pole at all.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
So you feel shocked, then get a cheat-sheet, and use it. What's so hard about that?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Or you just don't review what you're about to commit, because you made the changes and remember them. And it's not like you face some horrible endgame if your commit is slightly more than minimal.

Edit: Normally if I want to review changes I just use git diff.

Also: Everybody please git config --global merge.conflictstyle diff3

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
git's arcane command syntax claims its first victim.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
At least use cp -pR. Jesus.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Yawn. I don't really "get" the index or use it at all. git works fine for me.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't have any trouble or annoyance with textual merge conflicts. The "tools" just get in the way.

But. Please: git config --global merge.conflictstyle diff3

I don't know how many times I've had coworkers cry that merges are hard, only to go over and see that you can't even tell by looking what changes have been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
What I don't get is how people don't manage to have a fine-grained history comprised of logical checkpoints. Sometimes you need to make a big change, but, usually?