Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fullets
Feb 5, 2009

Argue posted:

We have two options; the first is to check out the project using git svn. Since there are 4000 commits in the repo, we wouldn't be able to check it out in a reasonable amount of time without nuking most of the history.

FWIW, checking out our 16000-revision SVN repo via git svn takes around 70 minutes - sure, it's not quick, but I've found that it's something I only need to do once; git svn'ing your project might take less time than you fear.

Alternatively, the git-svn man page has this in it, which sounds a lot like it'll let you push/pull changes from svn:

git svn --help posted:

The initial git-svn clone can be quite time-consuming (especially for large Subversion
repositories). If multiple people (or one person with multiple machines) want to use git-svn
to interact with the same Subversion repository, you can do the initial git-svn clone to a
repository on a server and have each person clone that repository with git-clone:

# Do the initial import on a server
ssh server "cd /pub && git svn clone http://svn.example.com/project
# Clone locally - make sure the refs/remotes/ space matches the server
mkdir project
cd project
git init
git remote add origin server:/pub/project
git config --add remote.origin.fetch '+refs/remotes/*:refs/remotes/*'
git fetch
# Create a local branch from one of the branches just fetched
git checkout -b master FETCH_HEAD
# Initialize git-svn locally (be sure to use the same URL and -T/-b/-t options as were used on serve
r)
git svn init http://svn.example.com/project
# Pull the latest changes from Subversion
git svn rebase

I'm not sure if this is the huge pain you're referring to, as it looks easy but I screwed something up when I tried it a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU