Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sonic bed head posted:

Is it possible to run an svn log that takes into account the current revision and goes some amount of revisions back? Basically I'm looking for something equivalent to this without searching back for a revision number.
code:
svn log -r -5:HEAD

Well... svn log --limit 5 would print the last 5 changelog entries, which may be more than 5 rnumbers back, is that OK? If it's not, dunno of a builtin option, but you could probably grep it out of 'svn info' output easily, so a quick script in your scripting language of choice may be less work than reading the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kekekela posted:

When I want to ignore a file using TortoiseSVN, what I've been doing is:
1 - go to the working copy, right click the file and add to ignore list
2 - Update local copy (if I skip this step I get an error the next time I try to commit)
3 - Commit local copy (need to do this or the parent folder shows up with the pending changes icon)

I think I understand why the second step is necessary: The ignore list is actually maintained by the repository, so I need to update my working copy so that it realizes it doesn't need to track that file anymore. I don't understand why I need the commit in step 3 though.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this, and what is really going on is every working copy has its own ignore list or something?

SVN stores the ignore list as a property, svn:ignore; and properties are (normally) versionned, too, just like files, so you need to svn commit to get it to the repo.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lysidas posted:

As far as I know, RCS has no group/multi-user capabilities at all. Using RCS for group work seems difficult. Isn't that why CVS exists?

IIRC, RCS is somewhat capable of multiuser using a shared file system, but RCS works on an exclusive checkout + lock model, which is an utter pain, as you have to checkout and lock a file to remove write-protect and make changes.

CVS is a hack on top of RCS that added network stuff and removed exclusivity, making it indeed much better for groups... And SVN is of course CVS done right, and is much better in virtually every way....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sefyroth posted:

I've googled for hours and couldn't find anything.

I use SVN and I was looking for a simple pre|post-commit hook script that would get all the data from the commit (author, date, comment, affected files, etc.) and would POST it as XML, Json, whatever to a predefined URL.

Anyone know of such a thing? My svn server is on linux, and I have shell access.

The integration script for CIA.vc (a site that tracks commits to various OSS projects) has XML-RPC hooks; and may be tweakable for your nees. See:

http://cia.vc/clients/svn/ciabot_svn.py

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It can be useful to push the sausage making if you have CI integration hanging of gerrit or something like that, but that generally requires co-workers that are capable of basic human communication and know not to waste everyone's time reviewing stuff that wasn't ready.