Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I've managed to screw something up every VCS I've come in contact with :doh:. This includes RCS, CVS, Source Safe and Subversion. The RCS and CVS screw ups I was able to recover from using nothing more than an ASCII Text editor. The Source Safe and Subversion screw ups lost my data forever. CVS is generally better than RCS for group work. So if your source files are ASCII text files and you or the people you work with are like me :ohdear: you may want to go with CVS.

nelson fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Lysidas posted:

What the hell is wrong with you? How did you manage to break a Subversion repository unless you were trying to do it on purpose? Did you try to directly edit the repository files, or something?

Well, subversion dumps lots of local meta data files all over the place. When you're copying a directory from a different server to your local directory (this was a porting type project, had to get the latest code from the other developers who were on a separate repository before checking it into my repository), you end up copying all those meta data files too. Unfortunately, it really confuses the hell out of subversion when you do that.