Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
Hey guys i want to be able to branch, does svn do this?

MAN YOU SHOULD TOTALLY SWITCH TO MY FAVORITE VCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Is there any way to rename the author of a commit in Mercurial? I accidental skipped a letter in my name when configuring TortoiseHg and now a few recent commits in the repo have the wrong author name. Unfortunately I have also pushed those commits to the bitbucket repo, and it's bugging the hell out of me.

Things I have already tried:
- hgcollapse will only allow you to collapse your own commits, not ones from another author (which technically is what's happening). Plus I'd rather keep the commits separate if possible
- Stripping the commits, and re-pushing my local repo to bitbucket. This re-pushed the wrong author names as expected, even though I had already corrected my misspelling in the config. I'm hoping it's possible to manually edit the local repo somehow, then a strip and re-push would work?

It takes a little fiddling with to get it right but it works, i've done it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/732819/can-i-change-the-username-on-a-mercurial-changeset

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Using git, can I export a set of files to their own repository, preserving history? I have a project where I want to take part of it and make it it's own project now.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Msysgit was my first exposure to git. The installer didn't phase me at all and I didn't think any of the questions it asked me were that hard nor did it require any great amount of effort to make it through the install.

If you have 0 experience with linux then "bash" might not be known to you, but if you don't know what bash is, that particular screen still tells you what the effect is on your system.

Option 1) No changes to your PATH will happen
Option 2) Git will be placed into your PATH
Option 3) Git and some other things will be placed in your PATH, possibliy overriding some standard tools.

If you are a Windows developer and you don't know what your PATH is and what modifying it may do, then maybe you shouldn't be developing on Windows (or anywhere).

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

ColdPie posted:

The answer to this question is always Git (or hg if you feel like making a perfectly valid, but wrong choice).

This man speaks the truth.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

RyanNotBrian posted:

Hi all, another git newbie here.

I'm trying to plan an architecture for using git across a small team of web developers. I've worked with SVN before, but never set up a shared git repo.

This is the environment I'm thinking of:
Each developer has a LOCAL machine
We all share an internal STAGING server
Our web sites are hosting on a PRODUCTION server at our data center

LOCAL machines have Apache, MySQL, git as well as whatever development tools the developers need
STAGING has Apache, MySQL as well as Gitolite
PRODUCTION is running Apache and MySQL, but not git(?). We have FTP access to this machine.

This is how I see the workflow happening:
When a new project starts development a team leader create a new git repo on STAGING
The developers working on it pull it down to PRODUCTION and start working
Developer can commit changes locally. At key times the will commit and then push their latest work (or a stable branch of it) to STAGING for others to view or pull down.
Internal testing happens on STAGING
Once the site is done and tested we run a process to push the site from STAGING to PRODUCTION
If the client ever needs an update we follow the same procedure, and the final process just pushes the changed files from STAGING to PRODUCTION

So my questions are:
- Does the above make sense? Is it a fairly standard way to run a web shop or am I doing something strange.

- Should I be running git on my PRODUCTION server as well and use that to push changes live? Or is this last step commonly done with FTP.

- Are there tools that work with git that can FTP only the changed files from STAGING to PRODUCTION?

- We use Eclipse as an IDE. I've played with eGit and it keeps complaining that I shouldn't have my .git repository inside my project directory. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better tool that integrates with Eclipse? Or do people generally stick to the command line and shun the IDE tools.

- Is Gitolite the best tool to share a repo like this? I started using Gitosis but then realised it's been abandoned.

Thanks

While I don't have a comment on the rest, I decided against hosting my own git repo's and just pay Github for private repo's. It acts as a backup, a centralized location, and a really nice online viewer all in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

RyanNotBrian posted:

Thanks for the advice folks.

We currently have SVN repos on Assembla that work pretty well, the annual fee is not too bad. I wanted to move to an in-house server for a few reasons:
- We are in Australia so big network operations take some time

The network speed issue may not be an issue with git, as I understand there is much less traffic going back and forth after the initial clone. Has anyone had experience integrating either Github or Assembla repos with Redmine?

I can't speak to the redmine integration (I normally just keep everything issues, pull requests etc in Github). But as for network operations the only time git actually uses the network is when it actually needs to. A clone makes just that, a clone or mirror of the entire remote repo locally on your hard disk. Any commits you make will be made to that local repository. Then when you are ready, you push your changes to github, and then other people can pull them.

Basically the only operations that actually hit the network are clone, pull (fetch technically), and push.