Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Zhentar posted:

I don't know about your particular issue, or the current state of SVN, but historically SVN hasn't handled merging updates to the trunk into branches and then back to the trunk very well. An alternative is to create a new branch from the trunk, and merge your changes from the original branch into the new branch.

this really should work though, and I'm certain that I've done this myself. I can't really imagine what would cause it to break, but I haven't had time to set up a test so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

floWenoL posted:

You just pretty much described the use case where git really shines. I don't know what awesmoe is smoking but when I tried to do pretty much the same thing you did with svn it sucked pretty hard.
you have to get pretty convoluted with branching before you're gonna start seeing the benefits from git

quote:

Also, the latency difference between committing locally vs. committing over the network is nice.
you can set up a local svn repo just as easily as you can with git

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nbv4 posted:

Its gotten to the point where I think I need to start branching. I want to add new features, but don't want to tie up my source in case a bug is discovered in myworking site while the SVN repo is tied up in my developement of a new feature. I head SVN is bad at branching. Should I switch to another program like git or w/e or will SVN be fine?

svn will be fine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

floWenoL posted:

Not really; it's more like if you use svn you're stuck with doing trivial things with branches because it sucks at anything more.
We have been through this so very many times, perhaps you can just explain exactly what you mean instead of indulging in vague, ominous handwaving.

quote:

Too bad that doesn't apply!
At some point the code has to move from your machine to the server. You can run a local svn repo and export to the server if your connection to the server is too slow, at which point you have the same network situation that you would with git.

Are there any further spurious arguments you'd like to make? Perhaps you'd like to tell him about how much easier it is to create a git repository!

rotor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 7, 2009

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

floWenoL posted:

Pretty much the definition of "vague" right there.
then we'll have to agree that we're both tired of this argument then because I'm not going down that rathole again.

quote:

Except that is a solution to a different problem. AFAIK, svn export only exports your working copy and not the version control information (i.e., .svn directories). This may actually be what the OP wants
it seems pretty clear to me that it is, since I assume he's not an idiot and doesn't want .svn directories in his webroot.

quote:

If your answer to "git can do X better than svn can" will always be "svn can do <something that's vaguely similar to X but not really the same>" then I might throw a few more at you, just to see what you can come up with.
Sadly, I'm not enough of an idiot to say that svn can do everything git can, since that would be obviously factually incorrect. My issue is that I don't think this guy needs to go to the trouble of moving his vcs midproject because I'd guess that the ROI on the effort investment will basically never pay off. I think git advocates tend to overstate the both benefits of their VCS and the deficiencies of svn.

If he was starting a new project I'd say yeah, go nuts, git is probably a better choice. But he's not.

rotor fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 7, 2009

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Janin posted:

There's very little effort involved in switching from SVN to another VCS. Just install the new VCS, fast-import the repository, and archive the SVN version somewhere.

right, and then you have the actual work of learning how the new vcs works and how to take advantage of all these miraculous new features.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

floWenoL posted:

He explicitly asked, "Whats the best source control program for single person projects?" If that's not an invitation to pimp your favorite VCS, I don't know what is.

Fair enough, but there was also this part:

quote:

I head SVN is bad at branching. Should I switch to another program like git or w/e or will SVN be fine?

svn is not "bad" at branching, and svn will be fine. That's basically what I'm saying here.

quote:

I think you're overestimating the effort of porting a single-person project to another VCS and learning enough to be functional.
that may be, but if you're just learning enough to be functional I'm not sure what the point of moving would be.

edit: then again, it sounds like he doesn't know how to branch in svn either, so maybe you've got a point.

rotor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 7, 2009

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

What do teams do to solve the problem of "Does Bill have changes he needs to check in?"

We have people that aren't in this office (or just not in every day), and it'd be nice to be able to go to a website and see that Bill has 2 files he needs to check in and Tom has 3. I guess it'd depend on some sort of client-side program that checks for modified code on a users machine and reports back.

we use jabber

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Rohaq posted:

I'm wondering something, out of interest - I've got the following structure in subversion:

code:
/
|-archive
|-main
 |-project1
  |-branches
  |-tags
  |-trunk
 |-project2
  |-branches
  |-tags
  |-trunk
Archive is used to keep a record of older code from yore, and can be ignored, but I really want to enforce the directory structure under main/project - Keep the trunk as our working copy, and keep branches and tags to their respective directories. I'm a little worried that someone might accidentally create their branch in the trunk directory, or similar however. Is there any way to get subversion clients, GUI or CLI, to default branching/tagging to those directories? Even if we have to do this on a per-project basis, it'd be nice to try and get some kind of safety net into place.

add a check to precommit hooks, hopefully there's some simple way you can distinguish between just another directory being added and a whole copy of the tree being added.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

uXs posted:

The biggest advantage to a DCVS, to me, is that you commit first, and only then merge.

I don't want to be fussy here or anything but this behavior is not a feature of a dvcs. you can do the same thing in svn (or cvs iirc)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

A certain type of person doesn't view coding outside of their job as "work". This type of person comes with a set of attributes that many employers would like.

this is only really a thing for the first 5, 10 years of most engineers careers. after a while, you stop doing the same thing for your hobby as you do for your 9-5.

"show me the code you write for fun" is really not a reasonable question for senior engineers imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

on topic: git still sucks, svn still rules, suck it linus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

Is there a good SVN client for mac?

the one on the command line works fine :colbert:

there's a program called Versions which I hear is good but it costs money

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Newf posted:

I've been using TortoiseSVN on Windows to manage some small personal projects. I'm a baby-level user, but it's working well enough.

I want to get better acquainted with the command-line blood and guts of SVN, so I started reading http://svnbook.red-bean.com/. This book seems good and comprehensive and all, and it's improved my operation of TortoiseSVN, but I still haven't gotten to 'the point' - svn isn't in my windows path, so the command line perspective I'm looking to learn isn't available to me.

install cygwin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

College Ruled posted:

Unless there is some missing functionality that I am unaware of, Win32SVN is a more lightweight option for a Windows command line SVN.

neat!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Marsol0 posted:

I'm going to pitch Atlassian's Stash to my company for git repository management. Is there any reason that this might be a bad idea? They want behind-firewall repo mangement (paranoid about theft or something I don't know and I'm not going to fight it). And since we're using Jira I figured the integration would be nice to have. It's also cheaper than Github Enterprise.

http://gitlab.org/ dude

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its not exactly github but it's pretty close.

if you must use git, i dont see why you wouldn't use gitlab or something like it, it's basically the only thing that makes it marginally worthwhile.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol, no. It's one of those clones that tries to emulate GitHub as it was three years ago, since it has no independent vision about its featureset or its design.

yeah i dont really know what the distinction here is, but it's an in-house hostable system that enables a github-like workflow where pull requests are the mechanism for code reviews and that's really all i care about. I've never liked the Altassian stuff as it never wants to play nicely with non-altassian products.

edit: also it's not 50k/yr, that is an important feature.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you can do the branch per feature thing in svn too. the merges can potentially be uglier, but you can minimize the pain by merging often and trying to keep concurrent work in the same areas to a minimum.

the lack of ship dates or code freezes is an institutional issue that has nothing to do with the vcs. Typically the way it goes is you hit whatever milestone you want (release date, feature set complete, 2 week engineering release scheduled, whatever) and branch. That branch gets sent to QA or whatever and the devs move on with their lives and continue working on feature branches and merging into the trunk. If there's things that get that release kicked back from QA, then you either fix it on the branch and merge those fixes in, or branch again from the trunk, whichever seems appropriate.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't really see it as an issue at all.

ok well it sounded from your problem description that you felt it was a problem so ok whatever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hughlander posted:

While I still hate how so many companies use git in a purely non-distributed fashion

man you have no loving idea

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Marsol0 posted:

Looks like we're going with this. We want to move to git, but the Director of Development doesn't want to have to go beg for money to move. Thanks for the suggestion.

gitlab enterprise is stupidly expensive, we got a quote of like 50k/year and we're a pretty small shop

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

evensevenone posted:

The regular gitlab is still self-hosted, you don't need enterprise. Also gitlab enterprise is only $20/year/user.

GitHub Enterprise is I think $5k/year/20 users which does seem kind of high but not that unreasonable.

i meant github. we got a quote for 50k/yr and we have like 30 devs. We do have a ton of repos so maybe that fits into it somewhere idk.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sorry yeah i meant github enterprise

if access to your source is managed by a vendor then oh man has something gone massively wrong.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

weird. they told me 50k. whatevs, gitlabs seems fine.

(they here being the guys who were talking to github)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Maluco Marinero posted:

Have something to put to the thread. I've started on a project that uses bower, it feels like an incomplete solution for a number of reasons:

- some packages that aren't immediately ready for use, what's the point
- no support for dependencies which have custom builds where you pick and choose the feature set
- no packaging sets of dependencies into single files

While I'm not nailing my colours to the mast, I really feel like the solution isn't bower in a lot of cases. What are the options for managing dependencies for a front end project, and what are peoples feelings on commuting these dependencies into the version control, especially for stripped custom builds.

This is more or less focused on JavaScript projects, where it seems the workflows are pretty early stages at this point.

there's some bower discussion in the last few pages of the 'questions not worth their own thread' thread.

short answer is that it's worthless imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking as a mostly clueless newbie to version control*, how would I want to go about picking a version control system to actually use for our team?

We have a very small team, about 1-3 people ever actually coding, we're mostly in maintenance mode code-wise at this point, and our dev machines will never see the internet. Our only real requirement is that we be able to point at a particular tagged release and say "this is where we finished these features/bugfixes". With those minimal requirements I have no idea what's suitable without being Too Damned Much, having hosed around enough to know the very basics of using svn, hg, and git.

* I ended up as the Clearcase guy for our team these past five years and I hate it, but I learned by trial rather than teaching so I might be biased. Nice conflict merge tools though, I think

svn imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Oh lord, did I just step on a highly over-opinionated land mine? :cry:

yes

git offers more features at the cost of complexity, and it sounds like what you describe doesn't need the features of git. that said, git is (sadly imo) the defacto standard now so it'd be more relevant in future tasks.

rotor fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 7, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I can't believe people actually use hosted version control

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wwb posted:

Didn't we have this debate a few pages ago. Anyhow, that is a strong statement, care to back it up?

just my opinion, and I guess for non- engineering orgs where software is not what you sell or on any critical paths or whatever it's not a big deal.

but yeah for the rest, I don't think you should be allowing a third party to control your release process. Big Steve's Repo Hut dot com getting ddosed should not mean that you can't continue to work or release as usual.

then there's the potential security issues, and the fact that running your own repo is stupidly easy, makes the ROI on the whole thing completely upside down imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

setting up a version control machine and ensuring proper backups are made is trivial.

i just think the dev process needs to be self-contained.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is cool, now i just have some posts to point at when people ask me why i prefer svn to git

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Opinion Haver posted:

I agree, anything that anybody has ever been confused by is an unworkable system.

i have a lot of complex things in my job, i dont need version control to be another one.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh ok I guess we're pretending that git is just as simple as a versioned file system here, sorry, I'll find my own way out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

copy a directory? no, I'll just mentally traverse this dag. oh also the commits are just meaningless hashes. this is so much simpler. no, the term 'cognitive load' doesn't ring a bell, why do you ask?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I think in my life I've had to draw a diagram of svn versions to figure out where I am like twice. with git it's at least once a month.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I mean come on now, are people actually arguing that git is simpler than svn? like in sum total?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

go back to yospos old man

so that's a no then, good, good.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Strong Sauce posted:

git is more confusing than it should be but I would take git over svn. svn is the worst.

no, visual source safe is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gul Banana posted:

git is more complex than svn and has more features than svn

it has _different_ features.