Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I've been having a hell of a time trying to send all my git commits to an empty subversion repo. There are some pages I found through Google, but their instructions don't work with the newest versions of git. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's a local save system that complements Time Machine. I wouldn't depend on it as an actual VCS; if it were an actual VCS, it would lack a lot of features offered by most VCSs today.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I have a relatively populated and active GitHub, and it hasn't helped much with my job search.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
https://enterprise.github.com/pricing

30 people means 10k (they sell 20 users per license). Still expensive.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

DSauer posted:

I had completely forgotten that with Windows 8.1 Skydrive is integrated into the Window's file system and for all intents and purposes acts like any other folder on your PC. I was thinking of using it as a private repository rather than hosting my code on Bitbucket and the sort and Git doesn't seem to mind or even notice that its working on a remote folder located somewhere else in the world. Is there anything about this that would make it a dumb idea that I'm not seeing? Looks like this works fine with Google Drive as well from what I can see.

I did the same thing but with Dropbox. It works fine, but don't treat any of the cloud file sync services as backup. They can and will sync corrupted data if your hardware goes bad. Also you may want to turn on two factor authentication on your Microsoft account depending how valuable your code is. Then make sure your account recovery methods are current, because that bit me in the rear end and I lost access to Dropbox and GitHub amongst many other accounts.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
as long as you don't use the sharing features of your preferred cloud sync software anywhere within your development directories, it's perfectly fine for personal development needs.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Your VCS and you will go nuts once modifications are made in a shared folder. Imagine trying to work on separate branches. If you aren't using VCS, then it works fine until two or more people edit a file at the same time.

You might be confusing my terminology, but most cloud sync services allow you to mark a folder as shared and others can edit it. Sharing a read-only link is perfectly fine; you're the only one that can edit the file.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2014

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I'm using Git. How do you guys handle configuration with sensitive data (connection strings, passwords, etc.)? Especially if you want different configuration for each branch?

shell environment variables seem like a decent way to do it if that's an option.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
So my dev shop has been only using Subversion to track the latest changes to code, and our production websites is just manually updated files. It's horrendous and leads to a lot of issues, so I'm trying to instate Git Flow as the standard methodology. However I'm still not sure how exactly to incorporate it into an already existing environment, especially when production is hardly in sync with the development branch. Any ideas or experiences to share?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
How exactly did you do that? Set up a branch for each one then attempt a merge?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I did an svn move to reorganize a repo's contents into the standard trunk, tags, and branches layout. So far the only way I've found to update other working copies is svn switch --ignore-ancestry. I'm guessing that's all to it?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They are separate commands. In bash, && shows a second command to run if the first is successful. Use whatever the PowerShell equivalent is or run each command.

Or install Linux.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Thermopyle posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with SVN, but an application I use distributes itself via SVN (lol).

I made some changes to a couple of files that I want to just discard and get from SVN again. I don't want to overwrite changes I've made elsewhere in the whole project, just these two files that are in the same subdirectory.

How do I do this?

svn revert file1 file2

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
since you probably don't care about the branch after you've looked at it, you can delete it with
code:
git branch -d style_changes
and be on your merry way

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You can change which branch is displayed by default in your repo's GitHub settings.