Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
Whats the best source control program for single person projects? Right now I have a website project that I manage with SVN. Basically I just use it to streamline moving files from my local machine to my webserver. Instead of manually moving files with a ftp program, I just commit, then ssh into my server, then checkout.

Its gotten to the point where I think I need to start branching. I want to add new features, but don't want to tie up my source in case a bug is discovered in myworking site while the SVN repo is tied up in my developement of a new feature. I head SVN is bad at branching. Should I switch to another program like git or w/e or will SVN be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
There is a function that I edited a few commits ago that is no longer working. How do I checkout an older version of a file from, say, 4 commits ago? I don't want to undo anything, I just want to mess around with an older version to do some debugging. I'm using git...

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
A few months ago someone posted a link to a really cool git repository visualizer, but I can't find the link. It represented every file as a little dot, and each committer was a little icon and it visualized each committer shrinking and expanding each file. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

musclecoder posted:

I'd be interested if there is one for git, but this one, code_swarm, for Subversion seems to be along the lines of what you're talking about : http://code.google.com/p/codeswarm/

codeswarm is different, similar but different to what I'm looking for.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

SAHChandler posted:

You are looking for Gource I believe.
:)

Thats it! Yes thanks.