Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

MononcQc posted:

A question about Mercurial here.

I have a repo with many levels for more than one use that may look like that

code:
base
 !- docs
    !- en/
    !- fr/
 !- sites
    !- some site/
       !- static
       !- src
    !- another site/
       !- static
       !- frontend
       !- backend
          !- src/
          !- tests/
say I want to only change the stuff from sites/some site/src/.../whatever.ext. Is there any way I could only check-out/clone a single subdirectory of the whole repo? SVN or CVS would make this pretty easy, but it doesn't seem possible in mercurial. Is there any way to do it or is my best option to try and migrate to another DVCS that would let me do it?

EDIT: guys from #mercurial on freenode redirected me to http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/subrepos which should do the job.

I'm curious as to why you would want to use a single repo for multiple sites. Is there some common shared codebase or other set of dependencies between them? If there isn't, I would venture to say that you should probably just use multiple repos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Yakattak posted:

What do you guys suggest for a web interface for SVN that also has project management type features such as tasks, timelines and whatnot? I know of websvn but it lacks the project management features I'm looking for.

I have no personal experience with it but this sounds like a job for Trac: http://trac.edgewall.org

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Git also shipped with a lot of features that Mercurial lacked but gradually made their way in as Mercurial evolved.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

epswing posted:

Edit: I want to be clear, I'm not saying "I hate branches", or "branches are bad for you", or anything like that. I'm asking what is their benefit over just cloning? Seems the same to me.

1) Clones require you to work in a different directory.
2) Clones consume more disk space (not trivial on some projects I've dealt with - I work with one repository right now which consists of hundreds of binary blobs which change frequently).
3) 'git branch' is near instantaneous where 'git clone' on a large repo like the one in #2 can consume a lot of time.

I used to use Mercurial as well, and the generally accepted practice on the project team that I was on at the time was just to clone rather than using named branches (granted we didn't have the massive binary blob repo I mentioned in #2). In the git world, named branches are so quick and cheap that there's no reason not to use them.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Is there a way to determine certain properties about a remote git repository without cloning it? The reason I need to do this is that I have a lot of repositories (well over 100) on which I want to check if HEAD of branch x is tagged within that repo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

git ls-remote --heads <url> <branch> will give you the sha1 of <branch>; you can then use git ls-remote --tags <url> to list all of the tags and see if any of them match the branch head. I don't know if there's a way to do this in a single command, though.

If you know what the tag name should be as well the branch name, you can use filter patterns to just see if that tag exists; check the man page for details.

Thanks a lot, this did the trick.