Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

nbv4 posted:

Its gotten to the point where I think I need to start branching. I want to add new features, but don't want to tie up my source in case a bug is discovered in myworking site while the SVN repo is tied up in my developement of a new feature. I head SVN is bad at branching. Should I switch to another program like git or w/e or will SVN be fine?

You just pretty much described the use case where git really shines. I don't know what awesmoe is smoking but when I tried to do pretty much the same thing you did with svn it sucked pretty hard.

Also, the latency difference between committing locally vs. committing over the network is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

rotor posted:

you have to get pretty convoluted with branching before you're gonna start seeing the benefits from git

Not really; it's more like if you use svn you're stuck with doing trivial things with branches because it sucks at anything more.

quote:

you can set up a local svn repo just as easily as you can with git

Too bad that doesn't apply!

nbv4 posted:

Right now I have a website project that I manage with SVN. Basically I just use it to streamline moving files from my local machine to my webserver. Instead of manually moving files with a ftp program, I just commit, then ssh into my server, then checkout.

Old man rotor getting senile. Even if you have a remote repo anyway, the majority of git operations don't go over the network.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Profane Obituary! posted:

Hey guys i want to be able to branch, does svn do this?

MAN YOU SHOULD TOTALLY SWITCH TO MY FAVORITE VCS

How dare anyone suggest the right tool for the job!

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

Git is still a little bit sketchy on Windows I think, unless you want to deal with Cygwin. I'm curious as to how well it'd work with SUA.

Honestly, any distributed VCS will do just fine in place of git (I don't remember which one is the Windows-friendly one).

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

rotor posted:

We have been through this so very many times, perhaps you can just explain exactly what you mean instead of indulging in vague, ominous handwaving.

You first:

quote:

you have to get pretty convoluted with branching before you're gonna start seeing the benefits from git

Pretty much the definition of "vague" right there.

quote:

At some point the code has to move from your machine to the server. You can run a local svn repo and export to the server if your connection to the server is too slow, at which point you have the same network situation that you would with git.

Except that is a solution to a different problem. AFAIK, svn export only exports your working copy and not the version control information (i.e., .svn directories). This may actually be what the OP wants, but if you meant to show how svn can do "offline" version control just as well as git, you failed.

quote:

Are there any further spurious arguments you'd like to make? Perhaps you'd like to tell him about how much easier it is to create a git repository!

If your answer to "git can do X better than svn can" will always be "svn can do <something that's vaguely similar to X but not really the same>" then I might throw a few more at you, just to see what you can come up with. It'll be at least as amusing as reading the CVS developers' defense of CVS' limitations.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

rotor posted:

Sadly, I'm not enough of an idiot to say that svn can do everything git can, since that would be obviously factually incorrect. My issue is that I don't think this guy needs to go to the trouble of moving his vcs midproject because I'd guess that the ROI on the effort investment will basically never pay off.

He explicitly asked, "Whats the best source control program for single person projects?" If that's not an invitation to pimp your favorite VCS, I don't know what is.

quote:

I think git advocates tend to overstate the both benefits of their VCS and the deficiencies of svn.

I think you're overestimating the effort of porting a single-person project to another VCS and learning enough to be functional. If it were a large multi-person project in SVN then I'd be the first to agree that you should stick to svn.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

haywire posted:

If Google Code had git I'd be happy as hell.

Anywho, I'm having a bit of an issue with git, basically every time something gets pulled from a repo, git resets the permissions to rwxr--r-- which sucks, because the group (users) needs to be able to work on the files. Why is this happening? How can I stop it?

Thanks

Why are multiple people working on the same repository? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

nbv4 posted:

There is a function that I edited a few commits ago that is no longer working. How do I checkout an older version of a file from, say, 4 commits ago? I don't want to undo anything, I just want to mess around with an older version to do some debugging. I'm using git...

git checkout HEAD~4 path/to/my.file