Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Does anyone have any easier way of commiting partial changes to file(s)?

Right now I go through the annoying process of making a copy of the file I want to commit partial changes of then reverting the original to the HEAD revision. Then I open up the two (in TortoiseMerge) and move the changes I want to commit from the copy to the original, save the original, and commit it.

There's got to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Yep, using SVN. :(

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
I'm trying to get some sort of version control working with my remote web server. I set up an SVN repository (on a hosted service) and figured that if I map my remote web server as a drive in Windows (via FTP) then I would be able to use the TortoiseSVN context menus normally in the mapped folder. However they don't appear at all - what are my other options?

I'm basically trying to commit remote files that I have access to via FTP.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Lysidas posted:

Committing files with TortoiseSVN over a drive-letter-mapped FTP server is a bad idea. It isn't the worst idea, and you can probably get it to work, but there are much better ways. TortoiseSVN is probably configured to not display its context menus on network drives, and this is a good thing.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately FTP is pretty much the only way I can access the files. Right now, I've been pulling each changed file to a local copy and then comitting it - which is a huge pain.

If you have any other ideas I'd love to hear it. I also looked for any settings to enable Tortoise context menus in network mapped drives but couldn't find anything.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Lysidas posted:

Do you pay for this web hosting?
Client's development environment :sigh:

It's not ideal, but I'm just trying to come up with the best solution I can with what I have to work with.

supster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 21, 2009

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Can you explain in some more detail how a distributed system will help me where SVN can't? Maybe you can expand on "synchronize it afterwards".

Maybe I should make clear that I'm not doing anything locally, files live remotely and work is done remotely. So "whatever the gently caress you want locally" doesn't help much because ideally* I don't want to do anything locally.

*using the term "ideally" pretty loosely here

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Did you read my posts? I'm not sure how to make it more clear. I don't have shell access to use svn or git on the server. It's a remote development environment for my use only. Production is in a completely different physical server (as is a staging environment and other development environments).

Thanks for telling me that "I am wrong" when I've already said that I'm just trying to come up with a clean and easy-to-use source control system for the environment that I am working in (which cannot be changed). Thanks for your help anyway.

edit: The OS not relevant as my only access remains to be FTP, but it's CentOS I think.
edit2: and yes, obviously I need local copies of the files to make changes and then push back via FTP - but yes, this process is automated by my editor.

supster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

uXs posted:

So, um, you're making local copies... which you edit... and then copy back? Isn't this like another way of saying that you are developing locally? Then why can't you just version control your local copies?
Because the local copies only exist in a temp directory somewhere as a part of the editor's cache. Anyway, I'm giving up on coming up with an easier solution and sticking with what I've been doing for the rest of this project.