Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Something is wrong with this reporistory and I don't know what. Server is 1.4.6, Client is 1.5.3 (tortoise).

There's a directory, <root>/WEB-INF/classes which I don't want in the repo. So I delete it using tortoise (equivalent of `svn rm` I'm assuming), commit that change, then add an svn:ignore property to the <root>/WEB-INF directory (to ignore "classes"). When I build my project, the classes folder is created and populated, but instead of looking like it's ignored, it looks like there are changes (red exclamation point).

Trying to commit from <root> I get "no files to commit", running an update on <root> yields no changes, however running an update on <root>/WEB-INF/classes brings in a load of .class files, reason is "Restored".

What's going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
"Ignore strange behavior" is not a real solution. Something is definitely wrong here, either in my understanding or in svn itself.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Lysidas posted:

It only tells the client to ignore new, unversioned objects that have been created.

Yes, exactly.

This is really weird. I might create a little screen recording of this in action. I've used svn for years, and I haven't seen this behavior before.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would deleting the offending directory and doing an SVN update to restore it sort it out?

I don't know. But you can move the file, try it, and move it back if it doesn't work.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to convert an svn repo to hg...

code:
$ hg convert trunk
assuming destination trunk-hg
initializing destination trunk-hg repository
scanning source...
sorting...
converting...
819 creating trunk/branches/tags directories
818 moving project into trunk
...and it's just stopped. The status of the hg process is "sleeping" and the trunk-hg directory is holding at 40k. What have I done wrong?

Edit: I just realized 819 and 818 are revisions. Why didn't it start at 932, which is the latest in the svn repo?

Edit2: It's done a few more revisions, counting down. Really, really slowly. Is it typical for hg convert to process 1 revision every 5-20 seconds?

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 18, 2010

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Finally got things converted and cloned and so forth.

So my initial repo was created with 'hg convert' by hg 1.3.x, cloned to a central repo which is running hg 1.1.1, and I'm running hg 1.5.4 on my desktop. are there issues with running all these different versions?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Mercurial (or DVCS in general) question.

I have a few contractors writing code for me. I'm thinking of this architecture:
code:
                +----------------> Central ----------+
                |                                    |
        hg push |                                    | hg pull only
                |             | <-- Dev 1 <-- |      |
Production <-- Test <-- Me <--| <-- Dev 2 <-- |<-----+
                              | <-- Dev 3 <-- |
This means I only need to give them read access to the central repository.

I'm new to distributed version control, but I think this makes sense. Educate me!

How does this sound? How should code get from them to me, i.e. should I be Pulling from them or should they be Pushing to me? Or using patches? Does it matter?

Edit: I should add that my goal is to preview/test their work in my development environment before allowing it into the central repo, but if it does get into central I want their history preserved.

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 29, 2010

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

You don't want them pushing to your repository, you should be pulling from theirs.

Why is that?

I ask because allowing them to push to me seems like a reasonable approach when dealing with a small number of people. Even with push_ssl = False and allow_push = *, can't I flip on hg serve, accept the push, and flip it off again? No ssl issues, no extra public/private keys (other than the ones required for them to pull from Central), they aren't required to forward a port through their router to allow hg serve to work on their machines (only I need to do this), no extra external repos. The only downside I see is that we have to both be at our machines at the same time, or work out a schedule ("My machine will be available to accept your push from 9-10pm tonight").

Please tell me if I'm being an idiot...but this seems viable for small groups, no?

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 29, 2010

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I should have clarified that I'd have a clone specifically for accepting changes. In fact I could have as many clones as I have pushing developers, each hg serveing on a different port.

However...I see what you're saying. It makes sense that I would clone from them so I can load their changes into my development environment, and then if I liked what I saw, I'd actually pull into my working repo.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Lysidas posted:

:words:

So one public repository per developer (read/write) and one public central repository (read-only). By public I mean 'available on the internet'. That makes sense. So I can take a look at their changes, and be able to push from their public repo to the central repo.

code:
            +-- Available Online --+
            |                      |
        +---|---> Central Repo ----|--------------+
        |   |                      |              |
hg push |   |      Dev 1 Repo <----|--- Dev 1     | hg pull
        +---|----- Dev 2 Repo <----|--- Dev 2 <---+
            |      Dev 3 Repo <----|--- Dev 3
            |                      |
            +----------------------+
I like this.

Edit: Riiight, like this

epswing fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 29, 2010

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't normally do this but...

king_kilr posted:

branches
directories

branch's
directory's

Learn and understand the difference or you'll be confusing people for generations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Redmine integrates with SVN (and others) and does those things.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've convinced the team to switch to Mercurial! Yay! We have a bunch of repositories on a server (windows box), one for each project.

So now it's time for linuxy programmer to become windowsy IT guy, because "I advocated for the stupid thing, so I better make it work."

I've been using TortoiseHG to launch the graphical webserver for each, giving each one its own port (8000, 8001, etc), clicking the "Start" button on each. Screw that, so I now have a batch file that looks like this
pre:
cd D:\hg\Project1
hg serve -d -p 8000

cd D:\hg\Project2
hg serve -d -p 8001

cd D:\hg\ProjectN
hg serve -d -p (8000 + N)
and it does work, but what I'd really like to have is an auto-launched windows service for each project, that someone can stop/start from that Services window somewhere in the control panel.

There's this thing http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HgService but it looks like it can only run one server at a time ("WorkingDirectory the repository folder, if it's not specified it takes the install directory").

Am I going about this the wrong way?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Next question: Visual Studio 2010 and version control.

Background: I'm coming from eclipse/gedit/vi. Normally I just set my VCS to ignore the .settings folder and whatever else eclipse dumps into the root of my project. The idea is that anyone could use any ide/editor at any time, so don't push any ide-specific files into the repo. Makes sense.

In the case of a C++ app written with VS 2010, I get the feeling that the code is pretty much married to the ide/compiler. No one is ever going to use anything but VS 2010. Thing is, any time there's any kind of change to the settings, or compiler options, or anything really, a few ide-specific files change such as MyProject.sln, MyProject.vcproj, etc.

So...what do I do here? If I ignore these, my co-workers can't launch their project upon checkout. If I include them, a good number of commits will contain ide-specific files/changes.

vvv E: much thanks

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 5, 2010

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

uXs posted:

Personally I just use a shared folder (on a server) and push/pull over network shares

Aww dammit, I forgot that you can just point to a folder on a share and blamo. This is what we're going to do for sure, at least for now. Thanks!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Nothing's wrong with that plan, except at my new job there isn't a single linux machine in the building.

:negative:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Actually I've been meaning to look into self-contained applications/stacks provided by http://bitnami.org/. Looks promising, actually...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Mercurial question.

I'm happily developing along, tagging as I go, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.1.

Then I realize there's a bug in the 1.x line, so I need to fix that and merge the fix into 2.1:

clone to -r 1.2
do some work, commit
add tag 1.3
pull (I'll get multiple heads here)
merge*
commit
push

That merge will always give me a .hgtags merge conflict. I simply keep the changes from both sources and things work fine (does the order of the lines in .hgtags matter?). However if I instead clone to the revision after -r 1.2 and follow the steps above, there isn't any .hgtags conflict.

So when I go back to fix something, should I clone to the tag I want, or one rev after the tag I want?

Aside: I love mercurial, and will probably name my first born "mercurial", but having tags as changesets seems unintuitive. Why are they versioned?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the method to add all new files to svn still some bullshit like
svn status | grep "^\?" | awk '{print $2}' | xargs svn add

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sizzlechest posted:

svn add --force .

But this will ignore svn:ignore :(

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What's wrong with a server doing pull/update to a specific revision? What script would you write that doesn't involve this?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My question got skipped :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3113983&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post383276306

When going back to fix a bug in an old tagged version, and merging back into the main line of development, shouldn't I clone/update to the rev after the tag to avoid that pesky .hgtags merge conflict?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Mercurial Wiki:

quote:

The fact that tags identify changesets and are also parts of changesets has some potentially confusing implications:

The changeset that a tag refers to is always older than the changeset that commits the tag itself.
Updating a working dir to a particular tag will take that directory back to a point before the tag itself existed.
Cloning a repo to a particular tag will give you a new repo that does not have that tag.

Mercurial Guide:

quote:

An unfortunate consequence of this design is that you can't actually verify that your merged .hgtags file is correct until after you've committed a change. So if you find yourself resolving a conflict on .hgtags during a merge, be sure to run hg tags after you commit. If it finds an error in the .hgtags file, it will report the location of the error, which you can then fix and commit. You should then run hg tags again, just to be sure that your fix is correct.

Do you generally find versioned tags useful, or is this an over-engineered "feature" that you find annoying?

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 13, 2010

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
pre:
4.0.0          4.1.0          4.2.0          4.3.0
--o----o----o----o----o----o----o----o----o----o--
     \                                   /
      \   4.0.1                         /
       -----o---------------------------
  • 4.0.0 under development
  • 4.0.0 released
  • 4.1.0 under development
  • 4.1.0 released
  • 4.2.0 under development
  • 4.2.0 released
  • 4.3.0 under development
  • find bug in 4.0.0
    • clone/update to tag 4.0.0
    • commit fix
    • tag as 4.0.1
    • pull (multiple heads here)
    • merge (resolve conflicts here)
    • commit
    • push
  • 4.3.0 released

I've merged a fix from an old release into the main line of development, which will be released as 4.3.0, that's all good. What about clients of mine that are in between, running 4.1.0 and 4.2.0? Don't they need the fix too, released as 4.1.1 and 4.2.1? I'm not sure how I can merge the fix into both the main line of development, AND intermediate minor builds.

We're using mercurial. Is this what mercurial's "branches" are for?

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 12, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

bitprophet posted:

re-applying that patch to 4.1 and 4.2

This right here is the missing link in my brain, how do I do this?

Actually it might become clear after I finish reading about branches.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I feel like this should be somewhere right in front of me but I'm not seeing it.

Using tortoisehg, how can I visually compare a file to an earlier version of itself? Using whatever, kdiff3 or WinMerge. I want to initiate this from the Repository Explorer.

Edit: Basically if I add
code:
[extensions]
hgext.extdiff=

[extdiff]
cmd.vdiff = kdiff3
to my hgrc and then type
code:
hg vdiff -r 12 -r 59 src\Batch.cpp
at a command prompt, that's exactly what I want to do from the repo explorer.

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 31, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Your article should be titled "Why I Don’t Like the Git Installer" which basically has nothing to do with Git as a source control application.

While you have some valid points about the installer as a first-time user, you later say

quote:

...Git has a two-step method of checking in source. First, you check in your source in your local repository. Second, you merge your local repository with a server. While there are definite pros and cons to this approach that are most certainly debatable, the only thing I see in the practical sense is that, with Git, I need to take two steps whereas I can get the same result with SVN in one step...
which tells me that you don't really "get" distributed version control. So...it's hard to read the title as "Why I Don’t Like the Git" when in reality you don't really understand dvcs.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Janin posted:

Visual Studio: Windows only
XCode: MacOS only
Emacs/Vim: POSIX only
Git/Mercurial/Bazaar: POSIX only (the Windows ports are jokes)
SVN/CVS: POSIX only (the Windows ports are missing major functionality)
Autotools: POSIX only
(... a bunch more marked "POSIX only")

Actually Mercurial works super nice on Windows. I don't have enough experience with the other two VCS systems you mentioned to comment on their level of jokeness on Windows.

(I agree with the majority of your other points)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mithaldu posted:

Jesus Christ, you two should marry. You're the perfect pair with one of you claiming only linux users can be developers and the other claiming that most developers prefer windows.

What if Captain Corny and Janin are the same person with multiple personality disorder?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
You're kind of guessing what's wrong and trying different things. When you say the PHP script "fails silently"...is it 500'ing? If so, what does the web server's error.log say? If not, wrap the whole thing in try/catch and write the $exception to a file or something.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Ok that's what I assumed was the case. So I would include build but not dist.

Yes

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

devilmouse posted:

Perforce -> Mercurial

Define 'changelist'.

Edit: Oh, if you mean you're working on different features at the same time, then sure you could use branches, or you could also clone your repo for each feature.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I haven't used the git gui in 6 months, but if nothing's changed I think tortoisehg knocks it out of the park.

(P.S. I'm not saying the git gui doesn't work fine.)

E: Oh poo poo I just participated in a holy war please ignore this post entirely :ohdear:

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 17, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Misogynist posted:

Performance isn't good, but I haven't run into any other problems. Qualify this statement, please.

I think you just did.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

wwb posted:

Bigger issue I've got with DCVS is that it is very, very hard for the non-developers to grok

I begrudgingly opted for SVN instead of a DVCS because I didn't want to deal with teaching the designers how DVCS works. (They barely get SVN.)

I thought about maybe writing a couple shortcut scripts to "commit and push", and "pull and update", but that would almost certainly explode in my face.

Can't tell yet if it's going to be worse if (when) SVN explodes in my face. :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Maybe you want to comment/elaborate on what this is and why everyone should be using it, rather than "betterusethiskbye"?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I use something like that template method you mentioned.

Say my config file is named config.xml. I tell version control to ignore that file (because it's going to be different for my environment versus another developer's versus the production environment, etc) and I create (and version) a file config.xml.tmpl. It contains a line like:

pre:
SECREY_KEY=~~SECRET_KEY~~
When someone checks out the project, they copy config.xml.tmpl to config.xml and edit in their key.

At that point I usually write a script to inject/replace (via sed, or ant's replace task, etc) all the ~~BLAH~~ parts of config.xml, so I can clone, rename the config file, inject appropriate values, and deploy the project in one click.

Not sure why you'd need a special class in your code...

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 4, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Xik posted:

When you distribute a binary your secret key will be viewable to the end user if it is stored in a config file, unless I'm missing something completely obvious (very likely).

What stops someone from just opening up the XML file in a text editor and looking at your secret key?

Oh, I see, this isn't a web-app (or other centralized program). Sorry, I didn't read closely enough.

The api key is for some service your program uses? Why can't the end users get their own api key? Or if that's not feasible, you could host your own proxy service which always uses your api key to the actual service, and you provide each client with their own api key to your proxy service.

Not saying these are great ideas, I don't know what your program does, nor what the api is even for.

vvv E: Yeah, Xik, you can't "hide" your key in a binary, I forgot to mention.

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've been using mercurial for a couple years now, mostly for small projects with a small number of people working on them.

Can someone explain to me the usefulness of in-repo branches?

Our workflow is as follows. There's a central repo which I clone onto my machine. I don't work on that clone though, I treat it as my "main" repo, which is the only one which will have changes sync'd with the central repo. I then clone my main repo whenever I have to work on something (a bug, a feature, etc). So my "feature branch" is just another clone of my main repo.

code:
            central repo
                  |            server
------------------+------------------
                  |                  
                  |          internet        
                  |                  
------------------+------------------
                  |         localhost
                  |
             my main repo
             /          \
            /            \
       feature 1       bug 2
Things have been running smoothly. For any given repo, I've never needed a branch other than 'default'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

MEAT TREAT posted:

I'm using branches to collaborate with another remote developer. We don't have access to each others machines, so we share our changes through the main server. If a third developer wanted to check out our stuff he can just switch to the branch instead of having to ask us to share.

I don't quite understand this (probably because of my lack of experience with mercurial). There's a main server, what wouldn't a 3rd dev have access to if you didn't use branches?

uXs posted:

Bugfixes on code that is running in production somewhere.

Pull from central repo into my main repo. Clone my main repo, update back to the tagged version running in production, fix the code, commit, merge the fix into tip, and push the fix back into my main repo. Which gets pulled into the central repo.

I don't need branches for this workflow. And "other work" isn't affected because I'm working on other work in other clones.

Mithaldu posted:

Being able to switch between branches within less than a second without having to mess around with different directories?

This isn't a great reason. It's pretty much the same functionality. I guess someone might not want having a number of clones (directories) lying around, but then again sometimes I do, because I want to run two versions of the program concurrently, maybe I'm trying to compare something.

Edit: I want to be clear, I'm not saying "I hate branches", or "branches are bad for you", or anything like that. I'm asking what is their benefit over just cloning? Seems the same to me.

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 18, 2011