Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

mr_jim posted:

That's pretty neat, and I like git and all, but what's wrong with just using mercurial if that's what the rest of the team uses? They seem pretty similar, feature-wise.

Nothing's wrong with hg, git just has some really killer features that make it a lot nicer to use once you get the hang of it. The index/staging area http://plasmasturm.org/log/gitidxpraise/ and the pile of ways that git makes screwing around with your repo history easy, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

uXs posted:

If you primarily use that staging area to make partial commits, well, hg can do partial commits too. I do it all the time.

Wow, I used hg for a year and a half both at work and on personal projects and I never knew about the record extension. Thanks! If I find myself using it again that will definitely come in handy. :)

It's a big plus to the staging area, yes. But I also like the way that it lets you build commits in pieces as you go, sometimes using different tools along the way. That's just the index, without even getting into differences in how the two tools handle branching. Git seems to promote the idea of cleaning up your history before making it public while hg seems to promote the idea that history is what it is, for better or for worse. Maybe that's more of a cultural difference than a technical one, but it always seemed a little off that most of the juicy commands for hg were hidden away in extensions you had to explicitly enable.

Basically I can see why someone would spend an hour or so creating some bridge scripts so they can still use tools they're comfortable with.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

[...]
The commit that merges the branch back is perfectly useful and important, just not all the "hey i just did this thing to synch, nevermind it lol" commits.

Please keep in mind that a somewhat clean history is not just there for vanity, but helps the poor shlob who has to read your history to find out why you hosed with a certain piece of plumbing.
[...]

Yes, exactly. Not tidying your commits before pushing them somewhere public is like tweeting what you had for every meal; no one cares and it makes sifting through the noise for useful info harder. You can get away with the whole, "every spercommit is sacred, every commit is good" approach until a project hits a certain size, pace of development, and/or number of committers. After that you're just making a mess.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

stray posted:

When you do, let us know, because I want to make a note to never fork any of your code. You are trying to find a way to avoid one of Git's biggest and best features, while also ensuring that no one will ever be able to comprehend your commit history.

I think you missed this part:

Plorkyeran posted:

then before pushing review each commit, squash and split like crazy, and add actual commit messages

The commit history you see would be clean, well documented, precise changes.