Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Pardot posted:

GitReady is great for looking up specific tasks, and github is the best source hosting site ever.

I only wish github would give me single-dev private repos free. But I can just use Dropbox, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Not only is it not a separate project, but if you keep it in the same tree (eventually), I can check out the commit previous to your merge commit and get the old version.

I don't have enough experience with git to know if it's possible, but could you just change the HEAD of master to point at the rewrite branch's HEAD when you're done (instead of merging the branches), or would that be idiotic?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Vanadium posted:

Ah, I have not used the reflog apart from digging through it manually. I did not realise it counted as anything but an implementation detail. :shobon:

One of the weird things about git that I have learned is that all the internal workings that you might think are "implementation details" are incredibly useful in specific scenarios.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

That's when you put your work on said sub-feature into a new branch and rollback to work on the main one :)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Github is way better and I'd definitely go that way if it's free for you, but I use Dropbox for my private repos and it works pretty well.

Git repos are, after all, just files and folders, and Dropbox is just a folder that syncs its contents.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

Because syncing 'to the cloud' is only one advantage of a (good) version control system?

Yes, and the other advantages are already provided by git in the first place.

Github has a lot of useful features that are worth paying for but there certainly isn't anything missing from git by itself. Except a server to store your repositories on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I ended up going the git route and am pretty happy with that.

When I clone my repository to my local drive, is it ok to clone it into my Dropbox folder and then make modifications from two computers (work and home)? I guess I'm concerned that possibly Dropbox may mark files as changed even though nothing has truly changed.

For personal projects I use dropbox as my own private github and it works fine. But yeah, don't use dropbox when branches will suffice.

Though I do like the idea of using it as your working folder so you don't get home and realize you didn't push your changes at work.