Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

One architect where I work has got some kind of idea he suggested on the corner of a table a few weeks ago, basically replacing the database back-end of a web-service for text and html documents with either git or mercurial.

I thought about doing this for a wiki. Version control is no small amount of effort, and having a git backend (or any dcvs) does have a lot of advantages.

I figured you could just cache a lot of results for speed or otherwise. git is already handling rather large codebases with a large number of committers.

As long as the underlying dcvs was exposed, you could bypass any problems with the web interface, and many people would enjoy having the benefits of dcvs when editing pages or content, rather than the primitive options you get with web-apps.

quote:

Past the loss of full-text search (which could possibly be done anyway by decoupling stuff)

Or extending/wrapping existing tools like git-grep.

quote:

Have anyone ever heard of a similar project being done? I'm looking for success and/or atrocious failure stories.

Many code hosting sites either have wiki pages in the same repository (google code), or text markup enabled when browsing the repository (git-hub), so it's not a new concept in and of itself.

If sites like git-hub and google-code can host a large number of projects I don't imagine there are problems with scalability that can't be solved or have already been solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Would this happen to be a temporary file with a hardcoded name throughout the project?

If this could be passed as a parameter, could you just not keep multiple versions around.

If you wanted to, you could then add something to your build scripts to get the name of the current branch, and use that to generate the name of the temporary file?

The inability to deal with multiple temporary files is really a deficiency of your process, not the vcs.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
edit: I am an idiot. I should read before replying with the same thing.

tef fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 28, 2010

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MachinTrucChose posted:

I know this isn't the right thread, but anyone recommend a version control tool that works well (fast) with binary files, and is simple to use by a non-technical Windows user?

Find a tool you think he will like and then pick the version control system.
IDE integration would be best.

I'd recommend a hosted repository for him, as he may enjoy using a web interface
for some tasks (finding old revisions) than going through a shell extension.

quote:

I have a non-programmer friend doing temperature/water/something research that involves writing some basic FORTRAN code, long input files (thousands of lines), but also huge output binary files (500MB), some of which must be saved, while others are temporary.

The output files do not need to be under version control, just backed up. Teach him to make the output files go into timestamped files or directories (with version numbers).

I'd always avoid storing output or logging in svn - version control it isn't as useful for these files and clutters up code repositories. You may be able to sync these with dropbox or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

BizarroAzrael posted:

Firstly, what do you suppose is causing this? I've seen it elsewhere but it only seems to be effecting this guy regularly.

svn is case-sensitive, some file systems aren't. this can break things.

alternatively, something has the svn:needs-lock property.