Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do people do code review in a svn system? Mailing patches around seems terrible, especially if you are doing continuous integration.

My last project we were using RTC (Rational something something) which I found very confusing in the big picture but did have a very clear concept of change sets that were tied to a work item and needed to be reviewed before being committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

As a git novice, I really do love the command line interface. It tends to have great little helpful messages that would otherwise require Googling.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

apseudonym posted:

You can rewrite any version control system's history.

As an end user?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What kind of git hooks do people find useful?

We have two pre commit hooks: one to prevent committing focused jasmine JavaScript tests (focused means it will only run that test when you run the entire suite) and one to prevent someone checking in our database scheme name (because it differs between environments and should come from a setting.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 31, 2017

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So, I understand in theory that git is decentralized version control. But practically, if our git server is down, how do I share a commit or branch with someone else on my team?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How bad is it to push a large unchanging binary into git? Like a 1 gb database image. I know it's not meant for it but it's our easiest way to share files.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What does Git LFS look like if someone doesn’t have the LFS client? Do they just get stub files instead of the binaries?

Second question: Is LFS worth using if we need to store a single 500 MB file that never changes? Or should we just put in normal git?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a git one-liner to rebase and squash all the outstanding commits? Currently I do an interactive rebase and then mark all the lines except the first as squash or fixup, but that is a bit tedious.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cool, didn’t know about that.

So in theory instead of:

git commit -m wip

I can do something like:

git commit —fixup head

And then the squash rebase will be automatic, eventually.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, the non-hard reset is an under-appreciated tool. Changes the HEAD pointer and nothing else. Useful when you just want to commit your changes and don’t care about any of the specific commits you have locally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe lock down force pushes at least? Still annoying but if people are pushing junk commits already shouldn’t be that much friction.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keep in mind that git hooks are client side so don’t enforce any real restrictions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think he means type “git status” on the command line.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did CVS and SVN actually need a server like git, or could they just work with a shared network drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

necrotic posted:

A shared drive in the context of CVS/SVN isn’t exactly much different than a central server. You still have a central server: it’s just for raw files instead of the SVN protocol.

This was probably in the early 2000s when I was using it at work so shared windows drives were easy and already existed and running a dedicated server was a big deal.