Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
When I want to ignore a file using TortoiseSVN, what I've been doing is:
1 - go to the working copy, right click the file and add to ignore list
2 - Update local copy (if I skip this step I get an error the next time I try to commit)
3 - Commit local copy (need to do this or the parent folder shows up with the pending changes icon)

I think I understand why the second step is necessary: The ignore list is actually maintained by the repository, so I need to update my working copy so that it realizes it doesn't need to track that file anymore. I don't understand why I need the commit in step 3 though.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this, and what is really going on is every working copy has its own ignore list or something?

Any insight as to what's going on here would be useful to me probably even beyond this specific case. I'm loving using this for source control but I've only been at it a couple months, and I think my lifetime of Sourcesafe/Fortress type source control has probably left me with some horrible misconceptions about what goes on under the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

OddObserver posted:

SVN stores the ignore list as a property, svn:ignore; and properties are (normally) versionned, too, just like files, so you need to svn commit to get it to the repo.

Cool, thanks. That being the case, why do I have to do the "Update" in step 2?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Lysidas posted:

See the section of the Subversion book about mixed revision working copies, specifically that a directory must be fully up-to-date before you can commit property changes to it.

Awesome, thanks!