Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Posting to say that I'm now using git with a google code svn repository and it's working awesomely. The easy branches thing is pretty cool, too. Running it inside a VM on windows, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
As mentioned up the page I'm currently using git. I've made a new branch of the website (specifically python/django) to work on some new features and I've made a new directory in the site called "tasks/" on the "tasks" branch.

The problem comes when I checkout the "master" branch again and the "tasks/" directory is still there in the file system. I've set git up to ignore .pyc files, since they're just compilation objects and I don't want them hanging around, but doing this means that they're still hanging around and propping up the old directory structure. Shall I add them? Will it pollute the svn repository when I push the changes back up?

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
One thing I haven't been able to work out with git (or it might just be git svn) is how to determine and change what a branch is tracking remotely. It doesn't seem to be in .git/config, and I can't find any mention of it.