Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Cock Johnson
Feb 11, 2005

Speed has everything to do with it. You see, the speed of the bottom informs the top how much pressure he's supposed to apply. Speed's the name of the game.
My company is toying with the idea of migrating to Subversion, which I'm familiar with but have only used on small projects where I've been the only developer. Basically I'd just like to get some suggestions on the best type of setup for our web applications.

We're currently using Visual Studio 2008 with CruiseControl.NET and SourceGear Vault.

Currently we have three environments (development, testing and production) and a Vault repository for each environment. When developing on our local machines we check in/out from the dev repo. We then have a separate machine that we use to publish to test & production, so when stuff is ready to go out we have to manually add every single new and modified file to the right Visual Studio project on this machine, check it into the repository and then CruiseControl handles the building and publishing.

What's the best practice with Subversion? Do we just continue doing the same thing except with Subversion repos? Or is there a better way?

Horse Cock Johnson fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Cock Johnson
Feb 11, 2005

Speed has everything to do with it. You see, the speed of the bottom informs the top how much pressure he's supposed to apply. Speed's the name of the game.

Avenging Dentist posted:

This part sounds really goofy and weird.

It's always felt really goofy and weird, but it was set up that way long before I ever got here. If there's a better way of doing things I'd love to not bother with that any more.

Avenging Dentist posted:

A cursory glance at the CruiseControl.NET page tells me that it supports SVN, so chances are you can have it point to a tag in your development repo and check out from that whenever it updates. (Tags are used as a way of "bookmarking" a revision in your repo, usually to say "this is the code for released version X.Y.Z").

Yeah, I'm aware of the branch and tag functionality in SVN which (I think) is the biggest reason for us to migrate to it. It's just something that Vault doesn't do very well - or, that we've never been able to get it to do very well.

So theoretically we could have one repository, create a branch off the trunk for feature X, develop and test against that branch, merge that branch back into the trunk when feature X is ready to go live and then immediately create a tag to represent the code that went live when we pushed out feature X.

Does that make sense? I'm going to make the "this is how it would work with Subversion" pitch on Monday morning and I want to be sure I know what I'm talking about.

Horse Cock Johnson
Feb 11, 2005

Back again with another SVN question. What's the correct way to go about creating a branch of a branch? Or is there even such a concept?

For example, let's say I have a repository with 2 branches off the trunk: a development branch and a testing branch. Stuff gets merged from development to test and then from test to the trunk before going into production.

code:
/
    /trunk
    /branches
        /development
        /test
    /tags
Now let's say I want to start development on a new feature so I branch the development branch. Where should I create that branch? In my mind it just seems to make sense to create it underneath the development branch like so:

code:
/
    /trunk
    /branches
        /development
            /newFeature
        /test
    /tags
and then merge the newFeature branch up to the development branch when I'm all done rather than creating a whole new branch alongside the development and test branches, but TortoiseSVN doesn't seem to like that very much. Is my thinking about this all wrong or am I just doing it wrong?

Horse Cock Johnson
Feb 11, 2005

Is the Mercurial book linked in the OP still the best/most current on the subject? Has Mercurial even changed enough since 2009 for it to even matter? Or is there a more up to date book I should read?