Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

supster posted:

Does anyone have any easier way of commiting partial changes to file(s)?

Right now I go through the annoying process of making a copy of the file I want to commit partial changes of then reverting the original to the HEAD revision. Then I open up the two (in TortoiseMerge) and move the changes I want to commit from the copy to the original, save the original, and commit it.

There's got to be a better way.

A number of VCSes have this ability built in. darcs has had it for a long time, and I'm pretty sure git's "interactive" commits allow you to cherry-pick, and probably mercurial's as well.

As far as with just SVN (which it seems that you're using, but I can't be sure), I don't know of any better process than what you've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Github is way better and I'd definitely go that way if it's free for you, but I use Dropbox for my private repos and it works pretty well.

Git repos are, after all, just files and folders, and Dropbox is just a folder that syncs its contents.

How the hell did I not think of this before?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah msysgit is not the same as mercurial in terms of "works well on Windows", sorry.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

The problem is that those that aren't github are:

1. old
2. built for old VCS

Github is the best because it's young and built for what is currently the best VCS. There's just no contest.

Bitbucket is younger and was built with mercurial in mind from the ground up :confused:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dromio posted:

1. There is no refs/heads/temp! There's a refs/heads/TEMP (not what the error says!) and that folder is empty.

File systems in Windows** are not case-sensitive so they're the same thing.

** I mean, the traditional Windows file systems, I guess you could mount actual case-sensitive file systems in Windows though

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wwb posted:

Atlassian has released SourceTree for Windows -- an excellent GUI git client that blows just about any of the other windows options I'm aware of away.

http://sourcetreeapp.com/

Been using this since they released it and it's nice, but actually ran into a legitimate case where Github's client is better.

When you're forced onto Windows XP (:eng99: ), SourceTree doesn't work :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TFS being down right now is crippling as poo poo for our team and I'm angry that we use TFS when we did have git up and running (but due to the fact that we're actually Microsoft partners and at the time the TFS + git option didn't exist, we swapped).

Yes, TFS is "easier" but it really has been a huge drain on our team (which knows git already) as a whole, so I'll go the other way than the above posters and say if your team can handle git, use it and not TFS.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

i barely GNU her! posted:

You do know you can host TFS yourself, right?

That doesn't make it not-centralized and suddenly immune to a centralized system causing a team-wide outage of their source control capabilities.

Ithaqua posted:

Local workspaces solve that, if you're using VS2012.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that (otherwise my retort would have been the same as Suspicious Dish). We actually resorted to sneakernet'ing some changes that needed to be immediately integrated between me and another team member.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This again, 5 days later, and it's not 100% down but it's slow enough to be just as bad. And I'll stop bashing TFS now.

:mad:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

brathering posted:

Theres no need for TFS ever

Use git like everyone else does

No Safe Word posted:

we did have git up and running (but due to the fact that we're actually Microsoft partners and at the time the TFS + git option didn't exist, we swapped).

Believe me, I know

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So am I completely missing something or is TFS actually requiring me to download the branches that I want to delete before it actually allows me to delete it? I'm pruning some completed branches but I don't have them checked out locally, so it's not giving me the option in VS to delete that branch. When I download it, it becomes available.

Does it want me to personally deliver the news to that branch and its children that they're worthless to me now and I am going to cut them off?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

Just map the branch, do a non-recursive get with the "tf get" command, then you can delete it. It's weird, I know.

It was already mapped, and rather than having to fire up the CLI client (which I'm not averse to, it's just silly when I don't have to) I just got the files and then immediately deleted them. Clunky :(

Though the other clunky thing I had to do was I had a branch structure like this:

A
|
v
B
|
v
C

..and wanted to reparent C to A instead of B. So after finding the "Reparent..." menu item (no right-click, just under File > Source Control > Branching and Merging naturally), the only thing I could reparent to was .. the thing it was already parented to (B). So apparently I had to do a baseless merge with my branch's grandparent (via the command line this time) to just establish the relationship so that I could then reparent it. I have no idea why this is the only way to do that (it seems).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Is the easiest way to make a branch in TFS read only really just holding an exclusive check-out lock on it? Or jack with permissions?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

git branch without any args is a no-op inside a git repo isn't it?

e: I see the same behavior with the same scenario, sadly I'm more used to the UI tools that I use now :shobon:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Is anyone here using Team Explorer Everywhere for anything? I'm trying to get a Jenkins setup hitting our hosted TFS and it was running fine but now for some reason when I do a tf get I get random HTTP 203's on like half the files:

code:
Server returned HTTP status 203 for GET [url]https://app.vssps.visualstudio.com/_signin?[/url]
realm=xxxxxxxxxxxx.visualstudio.com&reply_to=https%3A%2F%2Fxxxxxxxxxxx.visualstudio.com
%2FDefaultCollection%2FVersionControl%2Fv1.0%2Fitem.ashx<snip a bunch of other stuff>
The weird part is that it's only like half the files and it's a different set of files each time. It's the same credentials I've always used and when I do the same command with the normal tf client things seem to be fine.

e: ignore those url tags, the forum is auto-inserting them :sweatdrop:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Okay, TFS question. Somewhere along the line with the same Collection we've had for a while now (using Visual Studio Online), new workspaces start checking files out as Read-only on the filesystem but existing workspaces do not. In general it's not a big problem because Visual Studio will do the checkout stuff for you behind the scenes which unsets the Read-Only bit on the filesystem, but I've incorporated some automated build stuff (updating version/dependencies in the .nuspec files for our stuff that buids as NuGet packages) which doesn't get that benefit so anybody who has had a new workspace in the past month or two now has to manually checkout the .nuspec files so they aren't read-only. Older users... no problem.

Did someone change a setting on the collection that may have caused this? Because I would like it not to be set to read-only on the filesystem on check-out...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

It sounds like they're creating server workspaces instead of local workspaces. Are they by any chance using VS2010?

Nah it's VS2013 and we haven't used 2010 in a loooooooooong time, long before this started. It may be the case that when we weren't having the problem it was with workspaces created in VS2012 but we've been on 2013 for quite some time. I know for sure I'm using a server workspace now and I do experience that issue.

...and switching to local made it go away. So did the default workspace go from Local to Server when VS2012 went to VS2013 maybe? Best I can tell, everyone followed the same procedure for workspace mapping/setup. For now I guess local is preferred, and based on this it seems like it is.

Thanks, Ithaqua.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm using the git bash terminal on Windows, and I'm running across something weird I don't think I've seen before. Sometimes when I use git log it shows me the commit history, but then it just has ":" at the bottom where it should give me the $ for my next command. What's that about?

It's paging it via less/more, hit "q" to quit out, hit space (or page down I think?) to advance to the next page, you can search it with / ... there's a bunch of keys you can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Anything other than the command line is an exercise in frustration. However SourceSafe by Atlassian wasn’t the worst.

Sourcetree please don't trigger me by reminding me of SourceSafe