Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nobleclem
Apr 13, 2005
HOW MANY RED TITLES DO I HAVE TO HAND OUT BEFORE YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO STOP CLOSING THREADS IN SH/SC?
We use SVN and I would consider moving us to git however two things keep me from pushing it... 1) Server Admins, 2) No good mac GUI's for the designers.

Just today a designer updated a file and pushed it into production however this file was updated for a major change before she made her update. So that change was not done and well it broke some poo poo. So I had to find and revert the file. Now what would be nice is to be able to utilize branches. I think git would work better for our environment but would need to run some tests.

Ahh the joys of working with those who use the other side of their brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobleclem
Apr 13, 2005
HOW MANY RED TITLES DO I HAVE TO HAND OUT BEFORE YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO STOP CLOSING THREADS IN SH/SC?

deimos posted:

at least gitX is 10x better than svnX.

For us we can't get Versions because one of the reasons they let us switch to something not absolutely poo poo (that we pay thousands for) is because we promised it'd cost nothing.

Our designers use Version however they seem to be bitching about it for some reason. I have never used it. One of the junior devs set them up with the software. I think one case is that its slow.

But I agree svnX sucks hard core.

nobleclem
Apr 13, 2005

haywire posted:

What good ways are there to go about using scm when you are putting large existing *web sites* under version control?

blah blah blah....

Well thats how we are doing it. However I would like to find a better way of dealing with this as right now there is no way for me to tell what changes were sent into production seeing as several commits often are one production update. We use svn right now so I am wanting to see if tagging is an option for us but for a short term we have a web tool that we do our production updates so I am just going to log who, what, and when updates are sent into production. We had a couple instances where a designer put some stuff into production that wasn't production ready. And I got to fix it.

We still have a site that is maintained using the .bak system and we had considered about putting it into svn but decided to just migrate everything to a new server slowly and retire the old one. Someday this will be completed.

nobleclem
Apr 13, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: Weird question: Can I version an empty directory? I'd like all users to have a place to put all the log outputs of the update script without the script throwing up an error every time after the first because the folder is already there.

Yes you can version just the directory. What you will need to do is tell svn not to version the contents of the directory. Just add the svn:ignore property on your empty log directory. That should do what you want.

We currently do this for a cache directory. I didn't want someone elses cache data messing up my testing or me dumping all my cache data to mess up their testing.