Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm not sure this is what I'm after, it appears to let me have parts of the project sync with different locations, rather than not sync at all.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.externals.html

quote:

Finally, there might be times when you would prefer that svn subcommands would not recognize, or otherwise operate upon, the external working copies. In those instances, you can pass the --ignore-externals option to the subcommand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SVN is great at branching. It just sucks poo poo at merging.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Git is still a little bit sketchy on Windows I think, unless you want to deal with Cygwin. I'm curious as to how well it'd work with SUA.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

floWenoL posted:

Honestly, any distributed VCS will do just fine in place of git (I don't remember which one is the Windows-friendly one).

Not if the BDFL chose git!!!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've got a guy who would like a script for build machines to revert all local changes and update to a specified version. Is the way to do this just to svn revert the whole project, then svn update it all, or is there something more elegant? Revert seems to only allow you to change stuff to the HEAD revision.

"svn revert" reverts to the version you checked out, not to HEAD.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

CommunityPancakeDay posted:

We then have a separate machine that we use to publish to test & production, so when stuff is ready to go out we have to manually add every single new and modified file to the right Visual Studio project on this machine, check it into the repository and then CruiseControl handles the building and publishing.

This part sounds really goofy and weird. A cursory glance at the CruiseControl.NET page tells me that it supports SVN, so chances are you can have it point to a tag in your development repo and check out from that whenever it updates. (Tags are used as a way of "bookmarking" a revision in your repo, usually to say "this is the code for released version X.Y.Z").

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Answer: don't use SVN if you care about branching a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

supster posted:

Thanks for telling me that "I am wrong" when I've already said that I'm just trying to come up with a clean and easy-to-use source control system for the environment that I am working in (which cannot be changed). Thanks for your help anyway.

When your work environment consists of cobbling together random tools that are generally inappropriate for the job, it's no wonder that things aren't always going to work ideally.