Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Is there any way to rename the author of a commit in Mercurial? I accidental skipped a letter in my name when configuring TortoiseHg and now a few recent commits in the repo have the wrong author name. Unfortunately I have also pushed those commits to the bitbucket repo, and it's bugging the hell out of me.

Things I have already tried:
- hgcollapse will only allow you to collapse your own commits, not ones from another author (which technically is what's happening). Plus I'd rather keep the commits separate if possible
- Stripping the commits, and re-pushing my local repo to bitbucket. This re-pushed the wrong author names as expected, even though I had already corrected my misspelling in the config. I'm hoping it's possible to manually edit the local repo somehow, then a strip and re-push would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

uXs posted:

My first instinct would be to try the convert extension. There's bound to be some way to map usernames to other usernames there while you do the conversion.

Profane Obituary! posted:

It takes a little fiddling with to get it right but it works, i've done it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/732819/can-i-change-the-username-on-a-mercurial-changeset

Thanks, you guys are awesome, that did it. I overwrote the old local repo with the converted one, stripped the wrong changesets on bitbucket, and pushed the local repo. And it worked!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

Really? Let's get down to brass tacks then: How did you experience bad windows support in the actual usage of git?

I'm not really keeping up with the back and forth between the thread and Captain Corny but I'll take this. We recently migrated a large svn repo to git. Here's my experience on Windows going from one to the other:

-git is slower. Many operations seem to crawl compared to svn. I will acknowledge that some of that may be TortoiseGit's fault (see later point) as using git log (for example) on the command line seems to be snappier. I know that on paper "git is fast because operations are local" but I'm telling you my first hand experience flies counter to this.

-TortoiseGit has a hard to reproduce rebase related bug. This isn't really about git per se but rather the git tooling on Windows is halfassed at best. There are certain situations some on our team have found that when remote master is a few commits ahead and you have some local commits, and you try to fetch and rebase, TGit reports success but doesn't always rebase all your commits, so when you push it looks like things got lost. This is traumatizing. Personally I no longer use TGit in favor of the direct command line tools, but it was a definite problem we had that could only have happened with typical git tooling on Windows.

So you may fairly be able to corner my points as an indictment of TGit rather than git itself which I suppose is fair, however it's an easy mistake for a new git rollout to reccommend TGit thinking it's on par with TSvn and THg. So it's definitely something to consider in the discussion.

"Git on Windows" debate aside, git is just a more complex tool then a lot of devs are used to, and Windows is not the primary target platform, so it's not surprising that there are going to be tooling or documentation gaps that are sort of left as an exercise to the user.

For what it's worth in addition to svn and git I also use mercurial and it has been nothing but a pleasure to use from internals to tooling, it's a superior vcs in my opinion at the cost of a sliver of functionality that's possibly only relevant to giant open source projects.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

You should mention that it should be avoided because having checkouts on your web server might give attackers access to your code repo.

This is what a coworker said when I suggested a 'deploy' branch but I don't understand what's so hard about not having your server serve files out of .git or .svn directories. It's not that hard.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

What is the best way (or any way) to convert a git repo to an svn repo, and keep the history? I'm having trouble googling for a solution since google seems to interpret "git to svn" as "svn to git" which is supremely unhelpful.

Backstory: the eventuality of the git issues I described way earlier in the thread has been reached and we are migrating off of github to beanstalk, and I'd really like to see if we can keep file history when doing so.