Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I have a guy who does periodic SVN updates on the project, but most of the time it gets interrupted saying it needs a cleanup. On attempting this, it will say that some file or other is "not under version control", though the SVN tag still shows on the file and there is no reason I can see for it not being under SVN versioning, it's not something this guy has changed.

Firstly, what do you suppose is causing this? I've seen it elsewhere but it only seems to be effecting this guy regularly.

Second, what's the best fix? In the past I have moved or deleted the whole directory and checked it out again, but this stack overflow thread I found says to delete a log file in the .svn directory, but I don't see one in there.

Edit: actually, the problem seemed to be .svn files being marked read only. Was able to switch them back and it looks like it's updating fine. Why would that happen though? It's an automated overnight update so maybe I can just add something to switch appropriate file properties to stop them being read only.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Anyone ever had this:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed

This guy gets this on attempting to commit a file. He move the file to another machine's working copy and gets the same thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

You should mention what VCS this is with. Also: You should move to another one, as a VCS that is based on XML probably sucks hard.

Sorry, SVN. I think it might actually be referring to the file being committed, which is in XML format.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Ask your SVN maintainer what hooks they have set up.

Turns out SVN has been configured to check XML files for validity, and this one had a "£" in it, which is a no-no. Committed fine with that removed.

I just issued this command:
svn update --non-interactive -r{12062010T2200} [dir]

But it seems to have gone a revision early, there is one more commit that was made after the revision the directory updated to but before 10PM last night, anyone know why that might be?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

With a really large, really old project, is it theoretically possible that updating a really old (year +) project will be slower than a completely fresh checkout. I have been trying the update for days, though it may just be a couple of server resets responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

More SVN woes, I have a working copy that isn't updating properly. The "last commit revision" property updates to the current repository revision number, or to the one specified in the update command, but no changes are applied. I committed a file yesterday and when I try to update it on this machine it remains the same, but SVN says it's current. At the same time, if a file is deleted it will be restored in the update. What's going on? Is there anything I should try before checking out again?

Edit: nevermind, it was pointed at a branch.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 12, 2011