Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Pardot posted:

[and github is the best source hosting site ever.

I really liked using unfuddle at my last job. Git or SVN hosting and smart commit-message parsing that ties into the ticket tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Didn't see this posted on the last page or so. Pro Git, new book, available for free online: http://progit.org/book/

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Belgarath posted:

I have to use Sourcesafe at work (I know, but it's out of my hands), but I've started using Git for my personal stuff. I was wondering if I could use Git at work, so that I could init a Git repo in my sourcesafe checkout, do some work, make some branches in Git, and then check back into sourcesafe after merging my Git branches into master?

i.e. the checkout from sourcesafe would be the Git master, and I do all my work in branches, merging back to master when I'm happy, and then checking back into sourcesafe.

It doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me, assuming I setup my .gitignore file to ignore the relevant Sourcesafe files.

We're moving from Sourcesafe to Clearcase soon too :( If only I could convince them to buy into Git and get Github:FI

Knowing next to nothing about Sourcesafe and Clearcase, if you set both systems to ignore each other (SS/CS ignore .gitignore and .git/ and so on and vice versa), I don't see why not.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

stray posted:

I have one more question on Git: do I still need to set up the three folders, trunk, tags and branches with a Git system, or do I not need to worry about that with Git?

I know it's been answered but I just want to add, that, no, you don't have to set up anything. Just work. Git will take care of itself (and hg/darcs/bzr/etc seem to do that too).

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Dromio posted:

code:
ssh myhomemachine
mkdir myapp.git
cd myapp.git
git --bare init

I think you need --shared in your init as well.

I think the whole string is:
code:
git --bare init --shared

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Sizzlechest posted:

Creating a SVN repository is a single command if you script it, and any SVN admin worth his salt will do so.

Did you miss the part where they're new to all of this?

Seconding the Git/Mercurial rec, especially with TortoiseHg and all the Git versions for Windows.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

the talent deficit posted:

I've got a project (under git) I'd like to release, but without it's entire history. I basically want to release just the last few commits publically. What's the best way to do this while still maintaining the history privately?

If you're OK with no history, use git archive. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Unless the change is different enough, say one edit to line 1 and the other edit to line 20. Then it can usually merge them.