Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

gregarious Ted posted:

I only discovered this when that actress necked herself this week. I guess I'll have to read Brief Interviews.

The thing I find with his shorts (which is probably a symptom of the genre rather than Wallace himself) is that they are always so inconclusive. Not that it is a bad thing, but some times it would be nice to know what the hell is going on/what happens. Like for example the first story in Oblivion, about the chocolate bar testing thing. I was pretty distracted when I read it and probably should re-read it, but what was the point of the guy scaling the outside of the building?

Wallace is my favorite writer and I've always had riffs with Mister Squishy. To me, it contradicts how a younger Wallace described "good fiction" and "good art." Whatever happened to the aspiration of reconciling what it is to be "a loving human being"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I wish David were still with us.

I want him to witness a legless, wheelchair-bound man planting a bomb on a subway and the Gulf of Mexico actually turning into a Great Concavity/Convexity situation.

Eerily, the majority of IJ takes place in 2009 (YDAU).

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've been working through the Lipsky book. It's a great read, and totally brings Wallace back to life. I want to blaze through it, but I'm taking it slowly, knowing there's a finite amount of DFW's work for the future.

Edged Hymn posted:

Can anyone direct me to some good discussion on Oblivion? It's beautifully written and all, but the endings of every story so far have zipped over my head - especially the title story, what the hell?

Here's a review that travels some interesting avenues about the stories:
http://www.electronicbookreview.com/thread/criticalecologies/ressentiment

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

PRI Caulk posted:

I got between 150-200 pages into Infinite Jest before dropping it. I didn't like any of the characters (didn't quite dislike them either, just had no attachment), the plot didn't seem to be going anywhere, and while the writing was pretty clever, I kept getting pissed off at DFW for appearing to really enjoy his own cleverness at the expense of something I would want to bother reading. Nothing seemed genuine. It was a bit like having a high-functioning but severely distracted autist tell you about his friends but screwing up all the stories and finishing them off with a nervous laugh and a 'welp.'

I was in a bad mood at the time so maybe I'll try it again, but there are a lot of fantastic authors out there and I'm not very sold on the suicide-depresso's rear end in a top hat Tome.

David Foster Wallace wrote in Infinite Jest on page 12 posted:

'I read,' I say. 'I study and read. I bet I've read everything you've read. Don't think I haven't. I consume libraries. I wear out spines and ROM-drives. I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it." My instincts concerning syntax and mechanics are better than your own, I can tell, with due respect.

'But it transcends the mechanics. I'm not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you'd let me, talk and talk. Let's talk about anything. I believe the influence of Kierkegaard on Camus is underestimated. I believe Dennis Gabor may very well have been the Antichrist. I believe Hobbes is just Rousseau in a dark mirror. I believe, with Hegel, that transcendence is absorption. I could interface you guys right under the table,' I say. 'I'm not just a creatus, manufactured, conditioned, bred for a function.'

I open my eyes. 'Please don't think I don't care.'

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I finished reading Elegant Complexity this week. (I've read IJ twice.) It helped me with the consistent imagery in the book, specifically, the color blue, spiders and water.

I would've liked if it helped fill in more of the blank slices of the plot's sierpinski triangle.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
It took 200 pages for IJ to hook me. That's the section that begins with five pages of terse descriptions of things you'll learn if you hang around the Ennet, or any, recovery house.

"That no single, individual moment is in and of itself unendurable." :(

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Today marks the two year anniversary of his death.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Something I've always wondered about : do people think was DFW making fun of the length and complexity of the novel when he choose to call the North American government ONAN? After all, the main critique of Wallace's style was that it was masturbatory and I feel like there was no way DFW didn't know what the word meant.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/onanism

Self-gratification indeed.

ONAN insinuates the population's self-obsessed, self-involved, and self-serving predilections. IABR--It's a Bible reference.

According to IJ's wiki, the title is a "slight nod" to the length and complexity of the novel.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Does anybody have a hardcover copy of Oblivion? I'm looking to discover what typeface it was published in. Many thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Didn't Dave Eggers originally dislike the novel but he changed his tune 9 years later so he could fit in, expand his brand and market, and seem smart and cool? Lol. Such a hack.

IJ cover: I swear I read somewhere that DFW originally wanted the cover to be that B&W photo from the 40s or 50s of a crowd of suits sitting in a theater in 3D glasses, looking up at an out-of-frame screen.

• Locked thread