Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
While reading Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, I'm taking notes about what's happening where/when and where all of the actual interviews take place. Is this necessary, or are the same characters not used in multiple pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Human Tornada posted:

I'm about halfway through Brief Interviews and I'm not a fan. Is it safe to say his style just isn't for me or should I give something else a try?

You've read the essay about the cruise and half of the essay about the state fair, right? If you didn't want to finish the essay about the fair, you may want to stop reading him. Almost everything he writes has repeating motifs (e.g humanity, sadness, a very self-conscious exploration of self-expression) (while everything he writes has a deeper level of perception than I am probably ever capable of). I feel like most of his stuff consists of the above mixed with varying levels of humor/post-modernism, and if you don't like the above essays or Brief Interviews, he may not be for you, given that the essays are the most humorous and the book is the most post-modern, thus spanning what I believe to be his spectrum of accessibility.

(I think you should at least try IJ: read a section of IJ, then the corresponding section in my IJ guide book, continuing until you decide you don't like it).

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I highly recommend Lost in the Funhouse if you liked IJ, but have a wikipedia handy when you do it. It seems like every other sentence had a word I didn't know or a reference to a Greek god I didn't get or something like that.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I finished IJ a few years ago, can somebody please refresh my memory regarding the master?: How does Hal (or whoever) know the master should be in Himself's head? Did Himself request that the master be buried in his head in his will? That would explain how Hal knows where it should be and how Orin presumedly would have gotten it before it was buried.

Also, how did people who also read Elegant Complexity do it? (Both books at the same time, one after the other, etc.?) I eventually read both (for the first time) at the same time, and now sort of regret it. I wish I had just plowed through IJ without trying to take copious notes or reading Elegant Complexity, and then tried to sort it all out at the end.

• Locked thread