Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I play in two futsal teams on Monday nights - one team with a bunch of very competent players in a higher league who are looking to win the title this season and one team in the lowest possible league who are extremely poor. In our higher league team I try and play either up front alone or as last man back because I'm not particularly fit. Mainly I just try and stay out of the way of our good players. Whichever option lets me run least. In our lower level team I'm responsible for literally our entire attacking impetus. It's no exaggeration to say that basically every goal is either set up or scored by me. We don't score a lot of goals. I'm quite good at passing and reasonably good at dribbling and I have a pretty good goal sense. I am, however, quite a heavy drinker (read: Australian) and therefore fairly unfit and slow and I have next to no left foot.

My best ever moment was scoring two goals on my left in about three minutes in a final two seasons ago. The goals brought us from 3-1 down to 3-3. We went on to lose with about 90 seconds to spare though :(

edit:

hughsieblingwish posted:

However, we started up a five a side futsol team at the beginning of last year. We're okay, we train once a week in summer, then lose all our skills in winter because it's either a) freezing or b) pitch black when we can all get together.
You're from Melbourne right? Where do you play futsal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I was always utterly left footed until last year when my ankle injuries made it easier to shoot with my right, after a few months of that I'm now fairly ambidextrous but it doesn't get noticed because of my overall level of poor.

So I don't know drop a brick on your left foot?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I played from age 5 up to about a year ago (aged 35). I mainly played defense throughout my career; marking back, stopper or sweeper. My high school team was Texas State champs in 89, my club won state several times, and I played with many good players. I played through college, and also on ODP state teams for South Texas which allowed me to play in some fun tournaments and places. We played in a tournament in Boston where we were the featured opening match against Ranger's youth side. We were under 19 at the time. We lost.

I also played a few years in the Pike's Peak tournament at the Air Force Academy. We played Cruz Azul's youth team there. We drew them 1-1. Both sweepers (including yours truly) scored own goals. They invited us back to Mexico City to play. We stayed at the National Training center literally across the street from Azteca. We played three different pro team's youth squads with varying success. We showed up at Cruz Azul's compound to play the youth team, and there was a mixup. We ended up playing their B team. That was the biggest rear end whooping I have ever received on a soccer field. It was 18 year olds against men playing pro.

Now that I have had reconstructive surgery on both knees, and gained weight, I can no longer play in my Sunday league. Last one, I tore my ACL, MCL, MPFL, lateral AND medial meniscus all in one fell swoop. Boy was that fun!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Suqit posted:

Last one, I tore my ACL, MCL, MPFL, lateral AND medial meniscus all in one fell swoop.

YAHTZEE!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Suqit posted:

Now that I have had reconstructive surgery on both knees, and gained weight, I can no longer play in my Sunday league. Last one, I tore my ACL, MCL, MPFL, lateral AND medial meniscus all in one fell swoop. Boy was that fun!

Did a loving tank shoot you in the knee or something?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
So was the reconstructive surgery them taping what was left of your knees back on

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What would happen if I stood next to you and said 'Go go gadget knee?'

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

ibroxmassive posted:

What would happen if I stood next to you and said 'Go go gadget knee?'
My first ACL the surgery hurt way more than the initial injury. Not so the second time. I was sliding a ball away and as I went down my clear caught. As my knee started buckling the guy I was tackling went through my knee. Teammates say it looked pretty gruesome. I was screaming like a little girl and actually had tears in my eyes until the morphine kicked in.

I had to wait for the swelling to go down and for my MCL to heal before I could have the reconstruction. That took about three months About a year after surgery I started playing again, but my knee just wasn't the same. Practicing would hurt my knee for 3 days and games for a week. I came to grips with reality and hung em up. I started taking glucosimine daily and it had made a huge difference. It no longer hurts to climb or descend stairs. Woohoo!

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
I used to play defense when I was a kid and kinda got out of it until fairly recently (24). Now I play five a side both all men and coed plus a friendly on the weekend.

Is it just me or are the people who play on co-ed teams way more angry than people playing all men? I went an entire season on an all men side with no one on our or their team getting sent off but the first game of my coed season had two people sent off for terrible challenges. Why does playing next to a woman make some people so angry?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Ill tell you something, women dont hold back on challenges. My shinpads still bear a few marks on the front.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Shmoses posted:

You're from Melbourne right? Where do you play futsal?

Collingwood College on a Sunday night. It's organized through some group called "Super 5's". It's not a bad league but there's a fair skill differential between teams, some very good teams made up of off-season field players who really bully us and some really really bad teams.

My teams somewhere in the middle, we made the finals in our first season, I and a few other of our better players went away for most of last season and we bombed. We're back in the mix this season and floating around the upper middle part of the table. Definitely competitive with the good teams and we can make it very difficult for them if i play defense (I usually have a run out in the hole and then finish off the game in goal). I'd say we're this seasons Fulham, which makes me either the Mark Schwarzer or Danny Murphy of the team.

We lost 6-4 to the second top team last night, went down 3-nil early, brought it back to 3-4, they got a couple to make it 6-3 before we got one late. Pushed hard for the win but we just couldn't buy a shot on target late.

On that note, why is it that all the really good players are complete jerks on field? there's nothing worse than seeing someone who's clearly better than you and on a team that's beating you're team 8-1 or something having a big moan about the all maybe being out off one of yours players.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

On that note, why is it that all the really good players are complete jerks on field? there's nothing worse than seeing someone who's clearly better than you and on a team that's beating you're team 8-1 or something having a big moan about the all maybe being out off one of yours players.
Christ, yes. There was one team who deliberately played poorly in their grading game against us (my mate's family owns in the inline hockey rink we play at in Reservoir so we grade the new teams) so they could play in the lowest division (they tanked if you will). Anyway when it came to the regular season it quickly became obvious that they'd basically cheated to play at a poorer standard after they started crushing everyone left right and centre. They finished season with a GD of +65 or something. Anyway, they played us twice and thrashed us 10-0 and 12-0, going just as hard in the last minute as the first, celebrating every goal vigorously, whinging about decisions, belting us around with their much bigger frames and just generally being absolute cunts. In the second game one of their dudes absolutely carted the living poo poo out of our keeper looking for that all important 13th goal in the dying seconds. I absolutely lost my poo poo at the guy, calling him a loving fat little oval office, calling them all pathetic, etc etc. Anyway, the guy couldn't understand why I'd gone off at him so he sought an explanation from my mate whose family own the rink. He was told that we want to play futsal socially, not get smashed by a bunch of hero fuckwits who celebrate every single goal like they've won the World Cup. By way of apology, he said to us 'See now I didn't think you guys were so bad. I saw something in you guys. Maybe you guys could come down here once a week and I'll like show where to run and where to stand and stuff.' We just said no. loving patronising piece of poo poo oval office. I still fume about that when I think about it.

Anyway, current team news: my good team concluded the regular season with a 5-0 win tonight and another result went our way which put us in top spot! So we play the fourth placed team next week for a spot in the final. I'm pretty excited.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004
Started playing when I was 4 or 5 in rec leagues. Played a decent select team that traveled in the bay area but not much farther. Moved to Texas played 2 years as the best player on the worst team in the league ( The last season I took every shot and scored every goal until the last game where I was sick ) Moved back to California and joined a much better select traveling team, went all over the state and as far as Colorado. My glittering club career ended with a terrible state cup appearance in which my team lost every game in the group stage and I was awful. I was a year older and out of school so I was out of shape for the last year of club. I felt pretty bad since I was a main reason we were so poo poo.

Highlights included winning a very prestigious Southern California tournament and also placing 2nd in a similar tournament in Colorado. Also losing in the school state tournament semi finals in double overtime.

Now I'm relegated to indoor 3-4 nights a week and a really poo poo christian league team on the weekends ( I'm not religious at all ) I love this sport more than anything and really feel like I missed out on a golden opportunity when i was younger because i was afraid to push myself or I was just flat out lazy. Hindsight is always 20/20 though eh.

I would say I'm an defensive mid who can score loads of goals. My weakness being my ability to dribble or lack there of and a severe case of if I'm not being challenged I don't give a poo poo IE playing down or up to the level of people I'm playing against instead of a constant level.

outdoor boots:
http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&query=umbro&Ne=178&N=4294960675+427&Product_Id=277741

Indoor boots: (these things are loving fantastic)
http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&query=Nike&Ne=6&N=4294960675+294&Product_Id=491023

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Shmoses posted:

:words:

In a similar vein there was a extremely lovely team in my local league when I was a kid. Basically full of kids who were too small or crap to get into decent teams. They frequently lost 15-20 nil. Whenever we played them all of my teammates would just constantly push forward and try to score, the formation would become 1-1-8 and the standard would just suck. I would hold my position in defence and as a result I think I was the only person in the whole league that didn't actually put a goal past them. I would've preferred winning 1-0 with proper play than playing like that poo poo for 80 minutes and winning 15-0.

These days me and a few friends just play heads up against the local kids.

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
I play locally in what can be called a glorified beer league, some of the kids have high school/early college experience but not much past that. I usually play either wing or front, managed to score a few goals here and there over this season. It's good to see that some people in this forum actually play instead of just munching nachos and complaining about penalties halfway across the world :lol:

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

fordyce posted:

Can anyone claim to have accidentally kicked a better player than Ashley Young? Because I was once subbed on against his team at school, and the only thing I managed was to twat him right on the ankle as he did a step-over.

(I only know it's him because he scored a hat-trick while I was supposed to be marking him)

Did you manage to kick Lewis Hamilton while you were at it too?

quote:

He was also a more-than-useful footballer at John Henry Newman School in Stevenage and played in the same team there as Ashley Young, the England under-21 midfielder who joined Aston Villa from Watford in January for £9.65m. 'I was quicker than Ashley Young, stronger than him, so I had that with me. But he was very skilled and very neat and would dribble the ball round people very nicely. I was very powerful in the team, I was always a midfielder and in my team I was the fittest by far because of my racing and the training I did. I'd run up and down and up and down and if someone tackled me I'd get them back. I'd always get them back because I never gave up, whereas a lot of people would get tackled then just leave it for the next stage of the game. I'd never let that happen.'

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I play every Sunday with whatever people we can wrangle up. We have to hop over some fences to get into the local high school and usually get lots of hippies playing. My problem is that I want something with more structure/competition but I don't think I'm quite good enough for a league. Where can I go to play with 21-25 year olds who have the skill level of a 10 year old?

fordyce
Nov 21, 2005

Please, call me Djo

identikit posted:

Did you manage to kick Lewis Hamilton while you were at it too?

I wish. Genuinely.

macaque
Dec 24, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

:words:

Is that a co-ed league?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

macaque posted:

Is that a co-ed league?

Yep, 5 players (including goalkeeper) on, minimum two girls and as many subs as you want.

edit: why?

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 29, 2009

macaque
Dec 24, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

Yep, 5 players (including goalkeeper) on, minimum two girls and as many subs as you want.

edit: why?

why because that's the same league i play!
and i'm not one of those arseholes because quite frankly i'm not very good.

I normally play defence and just barge my way into the ball then get a foul called against me. :\

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

hughsieblingwish posted:

Had a game like that last night, they were destroying us yet still contesting almost every call. I think it's an extension of the competitiveness that is making them good in the first place. Though getting mad at having their 6th goal disallowed seemed a bit much.

Then again, they did miss out on the title on goal difference last season so you can't really blame them for keeping the hammer down...

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

macaque posted:

why because that's the same league i play!
and i'm not one of those arseholes because quite frankly i'm not very good.

I normally play defence and just barge my way into the ball then get a foul called against me. :\

No poo poo. Which team?

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 29, 2009

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Played in a 5-a-side indoor league with some people from work last season, but had to sit out this session due to an upcoming exam. Usually play up front because I can finish decently with both feet but am horribly out of shape and have a terrible first touch since I hadn't played in years before this. I'm a scrawny little guy too, so big defenders cause me problems. I really need to get back in the gym and get back in shape so I can play for more than 5 minutes at a time. :\

macaque
Dec 24, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

No poo poo. Which team?

we're the super sundaesssssssss, not sure if i'm playing this week though cos i busted my knee collision a few weeks back playing a pick up game.

i find myself playing a lot worse in fulsal than on a pitch (or even a hockey court fielding 11 players), there's just no space for me to pass and i'm too poo poo a dribbler.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

macaque posted:

we're the super sundaesssssssss, not sure if i'm playing this week though cos i busted my knee collision a few weeks back playing a pick up game.

i find myself playing a lot worse in fulsal than on a pitch (or even a hockey court fielding 11 players), there's just no space for me to pass and i'm too poo poo a dribbler.

Ug. You beat us 6-4 last week. you've got that lanky character who takes himself quite seriously and scores lots on your team, he's quite good.

Yeah, I've played a couple of seasons of indoor and i still don't feel very comfortable, as soon as you take possession there's someone in your face. It's really difficult to settle.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I play football with this guy

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

I started playing when I was 4 or 5 in small rec leagues around the Midwest(I'm from Indiana), thoroughly dominating every aspect of Recreation Football. Then the fam moved up to Chicago and I started playing for a team called "Wheatland Warriors", even though there was no Wheatland anywhere. We were probably the best team in Chicago at the time(I was probably around 8-9 years old). Won several tournaments including the Best of the Midwest, and went to Indoor Nationals in Detroit.

Once I moved back to Indianapolis I played on a few select/travel teams until, I was recruited by Arsenal FC. (Seriously our name was loving Arsenal FC, and we had the official crest and everything, it was badass). Anyways, we were an absolute juggernaut. Our first year in existence('98), we went undefeated and UNSCORED upon the whole year(we scored over 100 goals). We dominated every single year of our league for the next couple of years, raking in numerous accolades in the midwest. We won Indiana State Cup twice, along with tons of other tournaments, and ended being invited to the Nike Premier Cup in 2000. We beat Sockers FC from Chicago in the final for the Regional part of the cup, who incidentally enough sported a young Johnathon Spector on the team.

After the win, we went on to the latter stages of Nike Cup finals in Portland, Oregon. (By the way, we also got a ton of free gear from Nike: Total 90's for everyone, sweet Arsenal replicas, along with socks, warmups, training shoes) We beat a Canadian team, but lost to FC Delco from Philly and La Jolla Nomads from San Diego. We ended the year ranked 8th in the nation for our age group. That was my crowning achievement, as after that our team began to drift apart and everyone got older and started pussy-hunting, smoking weed and drinking profusely...don't even get me started on High School soccer.

p.s. Obviously, being an American and not having an MLS team(like it matters...) our Arsenal team religiously followed the real London club and we loved watching EPL on the 'ol Fox Sports World...(Max Bretos anyone?)I played mostly right mid/winger and occasionally drifted inside for a more central attacking role during my club ball. In high school, I played up top exclusively. I was always one of the 5 fastest players on my team, but usually not the strongest as I wasn't the biggest guy ever. At my club I was known as a Robert Pires prototype, and in high school everyone thought I was Alessandro Del Piero. (Apparently I resemble the two as well.)

Sanskrit Scat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 3, 2009

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My team won the grand final tonight :smug: it was nil all at half time, then we put on four goals with about ten minutes to play and it was all over. It finished 4-2 cause we went into celebration mode but now it's time for me to get BLIND

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Shmoses posted:

nil all

This is gonna catch on.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Sounds too much like Milwall

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Out for a full month because of tendonitis on my left knee. This rocks.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

2-all draw on Sunday against the new team.

Got a goal early then went to 'keeper and spent the second half getting alternately kicked in the balls and hands, end result - jarred thumb, massive shin bruising and only conceded a goal from a free kick about 3meters out.

Definitely need to work out our combinations for next week and stop putting similar players on the pitch together.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ka0 posted:

Owen is that you!?!

macaque
Dec 24, 2004
welp. scored a goal by weirdly contorting my legs because the ball was completely out of position and in the process ripped by ACL and LCL. Oh, there's also a suspected fracture on the same knee. Waiting for Xray/Ultrasound result to see if I need a reconstruction.

How's that for Owenesque.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

macaque posted:

welp. scored a goal by weirdly contorting my legs because the ball was completely out of position and in the process ripped by ACL and LCL. Oh, there's also a suspected fracture on the same knee. Waiting for Xray/Ultrasound result to see if I need a reconstruction.

:gonk:

I just have a tear in my right knee. Hoping its a meniscus, but either way I still have to have surgery since I've taken time off and anytime I run over 3/4 a mile it comes back.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Scikar posted:

Owen is that you!?!

I have a Tissot watch and met my gf in middle school

macaque posted:

prepare to grind your meniscus off. I wonder if modern treatment includes replacing your knee padding with rubber or poly substitute just to avoid late onset arthrosis.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 12, 2009

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Ka0 posted:

I have a Tissot watch and met my gf in middle school

prepare to grind your meniscus off. I wonder if modern treatment includes replacing your knee padding with rubber or poly substitute just to avoid late onset arthrosis.

Not yet it doesn't. A (late) friend of mine was working on synthetic cartilage , but its not available yet. I wish I had me some!

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Ka0 posted:

Ouch. I've had medial tibial syndrome (basically shin splints) for the last 8 months. Playing six-a-side on the old style astroturfs three times per week and playing 11-a-side once a week with a training or two thrown in, along with a round or two of golf per week isn't helping, I'd imagine - I just can't help it.

With best intentions I often say I'm going to take a week off alternate weeks to rest it a bit; but then I get a text asking if I am playing and I just can't say no.

The worst part is that on astroturf I tend to play as a sweeper with occasional bursts through the middle. Like some sort of Scottish alcoholic Lothar Matthäus. So it's basically two hours of having shots blasted off me as I tend to be more of a blocker than a slide tackler on astroturf to prevent further injuries. Problem being I'm incredibly good at what I do and 9 times out of 10 I'm blocking the shot.

I definitely think that we should get a tournament going somewhere central in the UK like Manchester in August or something. I certainly don't mind travelling down, or even picking up my fellow Scots - only if we can play Scottish v English, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Stuface posted:

I definitely think that we should get a tournament going somewhere central in the UK like Manchester in August or something. I certainly don't mind travelling down, or even picking up my fellow Scots - only if we can play Scottish v English, though.

That would be class although I feel I might be a hazard to the cause, last time I played I felt like my lungs were bleeding