Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Gloves and helmet are pretty much the only parts of my gear I wouldn't skimp out on if I was going to skimp out on anything - chances are my hands are going to be out hitting pavement at some stage of my slide of glory when it happens and I really like not having shredded hands.

I would say also kneepads or pants with armored knees. The knee is such a terribly-designed and fragile joint, yet it sticks out there in a highly exposed location with only a few millimeters of skin protecting it. Plus, I've seen pictures of knees after crashes and that shiny white circle of bone is just...ugh.

Whenever I play that "what am I most concerned about protecting?" game though I end up spiralling down into worse and worse scenarios until eventually I don't want to ride without a literal suit of armor. For my sanity right now I stick to helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and kneepads.

Actually, I wonder how effective a medieval suit of armor would be in a crash? They usually had all that quilted fabric padding underneath to absorb impacts, and I'm positive that steel plate would slide better than even the best leather. Plus you would look cool as poo poo riding to work like that.

[e] and holy poo poo, imagine the sparks if you did come off

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A suit of steel armor with rounded edges and no projections to catch on the road, you say?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No charge for the suit, I'll be glad to get rid of it -- just pay shipping. Cost will depend on your location as it weighs 750 pounds and the internal rebreather counts as a hazmat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For sale: Dainese Torque RS-IN boots, black, in size 44 / US 11. Only wore them three times before deciding they were too big, but since they'd been ridden in I couldn't return them. Basically new condition except for a few small scuffs on the metal toe pieces.

I currently wear another pair of the same boots in the correct size for me and they're awesome. Strong anti-roll ankle support (few other boots have this) and on the bike they're like comfortable slippers. The IN style of boots are designed to be worn inside your pants, so they're a little more subdued than most boots with race-grade support. I liked that. The new version (just released, no real differences that I can tell) is the Torque D1 IN, MSRP $390.

Asking $275.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 17, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's a neat idea but the phrase "self control" is just too...teetotal...for me. Too moralistic.

One that says something like "PUSH HARDER" or "LOOK DEEPER" would be great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

McStephenson posted:

I'm selling my Honda GB500: it's a fun little thumper that has a new lease on life.

I love the GB500s and if I had a garage to keep it in I would be seriously considering it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol you thought a goon project would ever succeed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we have the same helmet and visor :hfive:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hawk GTs are intermediate bikes, not beginner ones. And don't hack them up into track bikes please. They are lovely machines just as is, and especially great with upgraded suspension. Perfectly balanced. Tons of ahead-of-its-time features like the aluminum perimeter frame and the single-sided swingarm. I think Honda should dust off the old shop drawings, make the following changes

- fuel injection
- anti-lock brakes
- cartridge fork
- 10mm wider wheels
- all LED lighting
- my cool vaporwave dashboard v2.0

while keeping everything else exactly the same and put it right back on the market and they'd sell the crap out of them. Perfect bike.

The Supertrapp exhaust does indeed sound fantastic and I love that yours is ejecting the core at an angle just like mine does. Gotta whack it back in with a mallet every few thousand miles.

$1600 is a great deal and I would buy it to add to my collection if I weren't on the opposite side of the country.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I love all the weird names for parts that the manufacturers assign. My CL350 has a POINTLESS REGULATOR and a FUEL COCK and several parts just described as RUBBERS.

e: oh and a diaphragm described as a DIAGRAM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wear a Dainese size 48 jacket and I am somewhere on the small side of an american medium.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I always liked the look of the 599 hornets but then Slavvy came by and said they were the most boring motorcycle ever made :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you take your pet on a motorcycle regularly you need to get them a pet helmet or at least earmuffs and goggles, yeah.

otoh dogs do stick their heads out the window of the car after all.