Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm evaluating leaving my 2006 DRZ400SM for a DL650. Just want to see if there's any interest for it in the Chicago area. Oil changed every 1k miles blah blah blah.

Stuff that stays:
10k miles
3x3 mod
loctite things done by PO
MCCT
TT case guards
edge LED tail light & signals
recent Pilot Powers.
a spare new chain as the current one needs replacing

Stuff that might be separated:
Zeta handguards
axle sliders
awesome tail cargo rack from that ebay guy
a second brand new rear Pilot Power from a order screwup

As much as it makes my commute FUN AS HELL I'm not really enough of a hooligan and I want to do some more adventurey/touring stuff. While I only managed to drop it in my driveway once, a rash on the rear right plastic seems to indicate the PO used it properly at least once.

As for price, just taking offers at this point I guess...?

booya sold for $3750 on craigslist

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I'm interested in the rack. If the chain needs to be replaced, you should probably include the new one with the bike or just replace it before selling.

Good point... not sure what I was thinking. I'll keep you in mind if things go that way with the rack.

Symphoric posted:

Why are these always a 1000+ miles away? I know no less than three people with cash in hand looking for DRZ SMs who cannot find one within a reasonable distance (Massholes).

It was hard for me to find this one around Chicago - I had to take a train and pick it up about 200 miles away. Tell them to get some sweetcheeks and make it a trip :)

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I sold my DRZ after all, so now I'm looking for a wee strom anywhere near Chicago if anyone is thinking of selling one...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Selling some Fieldsheer mesh pants that I bought last year but never ended up wearing because they're too small for me. Only worn a couple times. $75 shipped?

I'm tall but these pants weren't tall enough. My other pair of motorcycle pants that fit me well are 36x35. These are size 34 - they're very adjustable in the waist so they fit me fine there, but the legs are too short and the knee armor sat too high. If you have an inseam of around 32 they should be fine.

They have hard plastic knee armor with padding around them.

Boot zippers

Adjustable thigh snaps (velcro adjusters for the calves too, not pictured)

Hip armor is just foam but hey better than nothing!

The non-armored pants are very meshy and flowed a ton of air.

edit: forgot to mention these come with a zip in quilted liner thing that looks decently warm, never tried it out.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 15, 2012

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

For regular pants I'm a 34 in the waist - I just tried putting these pants on and there's a couple inches of stretch needed in the elastic for them to fit for me, so I think they could work for you, especially if you wore them over shorts. Beyond being mostly made of an elastic material, the waist does have adjustable straps to tighten it down too.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Looking for gear for my girlfriend. Anyone interested in selling a plain black women's small leather jacket, or small helmet with no crazy designs (maybe black/red)?

edit: found a good deal on both, nm

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 15, 2012

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Selling some Fieldsheer mesh pants that I bought last year but never ended up wearing because they're too small for me. Only worn a couple times. $75 shipped?

I'm tall but these pants weren't tall enough. My other pair of motorcycle pants that fit me well are 36x35. These are size 34 - they're very adjustable in the waist so they fit me fine there, but the legs are too short and the knee armor sat too high. If you have an inseam of around 32 they should be fine.

They have hard plastic knee armor with padding around them.

Boot zippers

Adjustable thigh snaps (velcro adjusters for the calves too, not pictured)

Hip armor is just foam but hey better than nothing!

The non-armored pants are very meshy and flowed a ton of air.

edit: forgot to mention these come with a zip in quilted liner thing that looks decently warm, never tried it out.

PRICE DROP (I got a longer set of the same pants), $65 shipped? Good mesh pants for someone who is 32-36 waist, and probably 32-34 inseam.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Zubumafoo posted:

gently caress it, I can't say no at that price. Never hurts to have a spare pair of pants. I'll take them. Paypal?

PMed.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Selling my Joe Rocket Orbit boots in size 12 for $75 shipped. I'm a 12 and they fit pretty normally.

They're a little scuffed from regular use, and they could use new laces, but I can include a generic set I have lying around if you'd like. Nice leather boots with ankle armor that don't look too power ranger-y. Selling because I upgraded to SMX plus boots :toot:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Selling my Joe Rocket Orbit boots in size 12 for $75 shipped. I'm a 12 and they fit pretty normally.

They're a little scuffed from regular use, and they could use new laces, but I can include a generic set I have lying around if you'd like. Nice leather boots with ankle armor that don't look too power ranger-y. Selling because I upgraded to SMX plus boots :toot:

dropping these to $65 shipped.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

edit: sold

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 17, 2012

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Selling my DL650 strom with <37k miles. With the exception of the front tire, which will need replacement before any major trips, this bike is adventure ready.

Maintenance/consumables:
- Records from myself, prior owner, and owner before him. Records indicate the bike was gone over pretty thoroughly at 8k and 19k, and the prior owner who sold to me mentioned similar treatment at 30k.
- Oil changed < every 3k with Rotella 5w-40 synthetic by me.
- Valves were checked at 19k and 30k by prior owners and were in spec.
- Chain was replaced by prior owner, presumably around 30k as well. I have cleaned and lubed the chain with Dupont stuff frequently.
- Battery was replaced new by me last summer, and stored inside on a trickle charger over last winter.
- Rear tire (Battlewing) was put on by me at ~33k when I got the bike and is in good shape still.
- Front tire (Shinko 712) will need replacement soon, but could still get you home for a reasonable fly and ride distance. If you would like to order a tire and have it shipped to me before purchasing, I will have it installed for you.
- Rear wheel bearings - I replaced these when I got the bike at ~33k just in case, turned out the old ones were fine.
- Spark plugs - I replaced these at ~33k when I got the bike.
- Eastern Beaver headlight kit - I installed this at ~33k when I got the bike. Makes the headlights significantly brighter and should prevent any future trouble with the switch failing.

Protection:
- Givi engine guards - some scrapes, but never bent out of shape.
- Hyde Racing skid plate - I liked this one the best as it doesn't weigh a ton and flexes to absorb hits. Has a couple scratches, as it's already proved its worth!
- Handguards - these are the ones with a solid metal piece, so they will protect your hands and the levers in case of impacts. Downside is, less wind protection than the floppy Suzuki ones.
- Dan Vesel radiator guard.
- Dan Vesel oil cooler guard.
- Dan Vesel oil filter guard.

Comfort:
- NEW model V-Stream windshield - this was the best solution I managed to find for wind, and the shape is less ridiculous than the old V-Stream. Still a little rough for me since I'm 6'5", but it made a difference over a California Scientific tall windshield.
- Madstad bracket.
- Heated handgrips with dial adjuster - these are a life saver in the cold, and worked well through my leather gloves.
- Locking cruise control.
- DL1000 tall seat - very small tear (<1cm), hasn't gotten bigger in the year and a half I've had the bike.
- Handlebar risers - 1" straight.
- Highway pegs - these are the kind that clamp onto the engine guards. They are a little close in for my giant legs, and the angle is kinda funny, and they buzz as the engine guards are attached to the engine... but it's still nice to have on the longer trips.

Utility:
- Pelican side cases - one is a little beat up, the other leaks a little, but they've still held a ton of gear and/or groceries as required. I put daytime oriented hi-viz tape on, so it works great both day and night rather than the reflective stuff that only really works at night.
- Rear box - holds 1 helmet and some other stuff, has a backrest for the passenger.
- 12v adapter under the seat - fused.
- Tank bag - big enough to hold a 12 pack, has a rain cover.
- Underseat 12v tire pump from motopumps.com.

Extras:
- Shorty cut up windshield, from a Bandit apparently? I preferred no windshield for around town, but do as you please.
- Tire plug kit, it looks old so not sure how good it is.
- A little tool kit under the seat with some assorted tools
- Tubing for syncing the throttle bodies (done by previous owner, not me).
- Stock windshield mount.
- Binder with printed out service manual.

Price is $4500, firm for now as I'm not really pressured to sell. No interest in parting out. Please ask if you have any questions or would like detailed pictures of anything.

I am located in Chicago IL, so it would be very easy to get to me via O'Hare or Midway airports for a fly and ride home. I will prepare the bike with an oil change, chain lube etc so it's all ready to go for your trip. Alternately, if you pay for a plane ticket home for me I would consider (depending when and where) riding the bike out to you.

Pictures:

Fits two first aid kits (not included), tire pump, tool kit, tire patch kit.

Eastern beaver headlight relay kit:

Crash evidence; as far as I know all spills have been very low speed:

Rear tire tread:

Front tire tread:

I have additional gear that I would consider making a deal with for additional cost if you are interested in any of the following:

Helmets:
Scorpion EXO 700 helmet, large, black w/ gold, black visor w/ extra clear visor that is scratched up (but works for night riding if needed)
HJC CL-15 helmet, large, silver/white/black, clear visor
Suomy Spectre helmet, large, silver/white/yellow, photochromatic goggles
AFX FX-90 helmet, small, red, clear visor

Jackets:
Scorpion All-in leather jacket, large tall, black/black
Tourmaster Draft Air mesh jacket, medium (size 42), grey/black
Joe Rocket unknown model textile/leather jacket (leather on shoulders + arms), women's small, red/black

Pants:
Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 textile pants, medium tall, black
Fieldsheer Titanium Air 4.0 mesh pants, XL, black

The kneepads have been removed from these pants for use with knee protectors, but I still have them and will include them.

Other:
Dainese knee protectors, large
Alpinestars 2010 SMX plus boots, size 47 euro (fits my size 12 feet), black
Joe Rocket Highside leather gloves, extra large, black
Fieldsheer Thunder one piece rain suit, 2XL, wacky lightning pattern on grey
Forcefield Sub 4 back protector, XL

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 8, 2013

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Why are you selling?

Riding in the city of Chicago blows (just watched someone die), and all the good adventure riding is too far away for me to really have the chance to get out there thanks to my job :(

Hopefully there is a DRZ and some twisty roads devoid of rear end in a top hat drivers in my life at some point in the future.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I'm going to turn around and get a Ulysses. I sold my car, so I should get something that can carry me and my girlfriend.

e. Maaaaaybe a KTM 990 adv.

e.e. or a Super Tenere. Or a 1200GS if I can find one for $reasonable.

Trade me for my DL650 in Logan Square! I miss my DRZ and I remember wanting more power.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Curious about the WR as well... guessing you are probably not anywhere near Chicago though :(

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Hope it is back to 100% soon!

Also I appear to still have your torque wrench... I work in the west loop, let me know if you want to grab it or I can drop it off sometime after work.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I think this is the most appropriate spot for this - does anybody within an hour or so of Seattle have any extra storage space I could throw you some $$$ to store my DL650 in? Doesn't have to be fancy or heated, a shed or even under a porch would be fine (I can bring tarps and stuff to lock the bike up with).

I'm looking to make a long trip through Glacier/Banff and out to Seattle coming from Chicago in September, and I want to store my bike somewhere around Seattle afterwards and fly home. I would then fly back eventually to pick it up for more trips in the PNW, and either return it back for more storage or drive it somewhere else that I can fly to and repeat the whole thing.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have a pair of Held Agadir summer gloves in good shape, size 9. Only selling because I bought them used online and they are too small for me :( I wish they fit because they are very nice gloves, Superfabric etc. My palm measurement is 8.5-9 inches or so, but I have very long fingers so the wrist rides way too high. If you have normal fingers and palms in the area of 8.5 inchs these would probably fit great.

Pics at https://m.imgur.com/a/mDpy9

Review of the gloves: https://youtu.be/2DMUpddBRsY

$80 shipped CONUS

edit: sold

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 9, 2017

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Buy my WR250R. 10k miles, $3400 to a goon.

It's all set to ride the Trans Wisconsin or Trans America trail after you put on a rear tire of your choice.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/wr250r-street-legal-dirt-bike/6323703455.html

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone want some XL Firstgear heated gloves that were only used on one trip for maybe $90 shipped?

They made things quite comfy in Canada through temps down to the 20s (when combined with heated grips).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

interest check on selling my 2006 DL650 in Chicago. I bought it in 2011 with 35k-ish miles, but really just never take trips any more and it is sad to have it sitting in my garage :(

coming up on 50k miles (valves done right before the 48k mark), new Michelin Road 5 tires in 2020 (barely worn), just put in a new battery. it's fully farkled with enormous locking cases, crash guards, fork brace, etc etc.

plenty of scratches but very well maintained and will run forever like all DL650s... sits on a tender, seafoam in the gas etc. I still start and drive it every now and then, and I change the oil myself with Rotella T6.

if there is interest I can take some pics and such. not sure what pricing is like on these now, is $3000-$3500 about right? willing to negotiate with a goon to avoid craigslist hell.