Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again by DFW. I liked the essay he wrote on tennis that some goon linked in the essay thread a lot so I picked it up cheap online. Only a quarter of the way in. Not bad, nothing I've liked as much as his tennis essay but dude seemed like a pretty interesting guy. Haven't read any of his other stuff but will probably end up reading some of his shorter stuff. I'd like to try Infinite Jest but I'm not sure if it would actually be enjoyable or if it's just a book hipsters like to say they read as a badge of honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
I really dig DFW's non-fiction (wait 'til you get to "Shipping Out") and enjoyed some of his short stories, but Infinite Jest is just a straight-up brick wall for me.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

SilkyP posted:

A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again by DFW. I liked the essay he wrote on tennis that some goon linked in the essay thread a lot so I picked it up cheap online. Only a quarter of the way in. Not bad, nothing I've liked as much as his tennis essay but dude seemed like a pretty interesting guy. Haven't read any of his other stuff but will probably end up reading some of his shorter stuff. I'd like to try Infinite Jest but I'm not sure if it would actually be enjoyable or if it's just a book hipsters like to say they read as a badge of honor.

I'm about as far from a hipster as you can get (fat 40-year old dork who works at a classic rock radio station), but I enjoyed it...

I'm reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, and it's pretty great so far. It's part of my goal to read more diverse fiction this year.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Just finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer and am reading Authority, then will finish with Acceptance. These three make up the Southern Reach Trilogy, and Alex Gardener (Ex Machina) is making a film on the first book. It's gotten me into the world of weird fiction, which may be my newest favorite genre.

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SilkyP posted:

'A supposedly fun thing' is glorious essay writing. If its hipster to read DFW then strap me down, curl my moustache and pass me the corncob pipe :smug:

I'm actually reading DFW's The Girl with the Curious Hair. I'm about halfway through and super into it. The wide array of voices he uses establishes him as a master of the craft imo.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Most recent book acquisition was Bryce Courtenay's The Potato Factory. I was looking for something non-fiction about Australia and instead found this historical fiction trilogy about Ikey Solomon instead. About a third of the way though so far and it's pretty good, the writer does a good job at making you want to root for some really awful people.

3.141592653 posted:

Lolita.

Only on chapter nine, however, I fell in love with the writing style, the French, the story line.
Not quite sure the line of consciousness as is written is quite favorable, however. Reminds me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in how it would begin at point A and then end in Point D somewhere.

Lolita is one of my favourites. If you like Nabokov's train of though style and the surreal humour he interposes into his writing, definitely take a look into Pale Fire next if you find yourself craving for something else of that ilk after you're finished Lolita.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Just picked up The Vorrh, by Brian Catling, based on synopsis and a glowing Terry Gilliam recommendation and I'm really glad I did. After wrapping up Book of the new sun I needed more intelligently written crazy bullshit and this is delivering.

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

s7indicate3 posted:

'A supposedly fun thing' is glorious essay writing. If its hipster to read DFW then strap me down, curl my moustache and pass me the corncob pipe :smug:

I'm actually reading DFW's The Girl with the Curious Hair. I'm about halfway through and super into it. The wide array of voices he uses establishes him as a master of the craft imo.

Man, there are so many good stories in GIRL WITH THE CURIOUS HAIR. That opening story is just perfect. When the novella wraps everything up, it's just perfect. DFW's short fiction is painfully ignored among his body of work. WESTWARD... and INCARNATIONS OF BURNED CHILDREN deserve as much attention as JEST.

As for pickups, I grabbed ZERO K by Don DeLillo, because I love Don DeLillo but I hate myself. Also have a whole bunch of poetry recommended by numerous professors and I need leisure reading between textbooks about maths I don't understand.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Endurance. 70 pages in and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be in for a real doozy.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Bloopsy posted:

Endurance. 70 pages in and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be in for a real doozy.

Do you mean this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IC8VF10/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I read it a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. I didn't even realise I owned it until someone here mentioned reading it, but it was a nice surprise.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm currently reading The Blade Artist by Irvine Welsh. It's basically a character deconstruction of Begby from Trainspotting and other previous books of his. surprised by how good and enjoyable it is so far.

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski. Pretty good, I may read the rest and play the Witcher 3.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Started The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey a couple of days ago--tried to get out in front of the movie trailer so as not to spoil anything. So far, it's a great read. Interesting take on a zombie novel.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. I was getting a bit burned out on reading Infinite Jest at work so I wanted to blast through a thriller for something different.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
At work you should be working!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Mr. Squishy posted:

At work you should be working!

Working is for chumps!

Actually I drive dump trucks in a mine and we get periods of sitting still time. And because I'm a fast reader it's more than enough time

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Just got a package I ordered about a month ago, there was some trouble with one of the books that caused a delay. I had totally forgotten about it and was a bit surprised to find:
Beasts Royal: Twelve Tales of Adventure by Patrick O'Brian (short slices of life/death from various exotic animals),
Collected Folk Tales by Alan Garner, and
Rogues edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois ("anthology of stories concerning rogues, cads, scalawags, con men, thieves, and scoundrels of all descriptions")

I guess I wanted short stories, and plenty of 'em (to read on the shitter?)? Finished Beasts Royal so far, and am eager to get into the folk tales.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 28, 2016

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
One Hundred Years of Solitude, Infinite Jest, and Books 4 and 5 of Knausgaard's My Struggle.

Knausgaard could write four hundred pages of what he ate for dinner the past year and I'd probably read it.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Started The Fireman by Joe Hill. Let's see if someone from the Stephen King lineage can stick an ending...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Speaking of King, I'm reading Thomas Olde Heuvelt's Hex and it's reminding me a lot of his old, good stuff.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Started The Pale King a few days ago and I look forward to DFW's descriptions of life as an IRS tax agent

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Shift by Hugh Howey

Second part of the 'Wool' books. Definitely seems better written than the first part which started out as short stories as I understand it. Being familiar with the world already and the revelations from the previous book it's actually quite compelling to learn more of the history through this narrative split between two timelines.

That being said I think it's a little blunt, i.e. a Southern Senator who lives a long time named Thurman. I liked the 20th century technology in a far future post apocalypse setting from the first book, so I'm skeptical about all these more fantastic sci-fi elements that the 2nd part introduces like nanorobot warfare and cryostasis.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just bought The Sword of Destiny and The Swallow's Tower - both of which being parts of the Witcher series. (Well, TSoD is a collection of short stories taking part before the main series) Looking forward to reading through those, after I finish the last few chapters of For Valour by Andy McNab.

Hevo
Jul 8, 2015

I've made it a point lately to read more female authors, after realizing that nearly all of the books in my shelves are by male writers.

So at the moment I'm binging through Virginia Woolf, currently reading her semiautobiographical To the Lighthouse. I've also got some Moa Martinsson and Karin Boye lined up after her, and am particularly looking forward to the latter's Kallocain, as I've heard many good things about it.

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

I recently picked up Infinite Jest by DFW because I've had an interest in dystopian themes since high school, but never bothered to look into them until recently. I also picked up the Pevear & Volokhonsky translation of Tolstoy's War and Peace because it's apparently a life-changing book to a few people I've spoken to.

I keep gravitating towards IJ more though, so I'll probably stick to that before I move onto W & P.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
A friend loaned me Killshot by Elmore Leonard so I've started reading that

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Been going round new-to-me second hand bookshops and picked up a whole bunch of stuff including a Machado de Assis put out by the OUP which I'm really looking forward to.

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
Just started Dreamland. It's a book about the origins of opiate usage and the spread of heroin throughout the United States, mainly in middle-class white areas.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blood Meridian

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Delphi Complete Works of Plato This thing is like 7000 pages. Let's see if I make it even a seventh of the way though this tome.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm reading the fifth book of the Song of Ice and Fire series. A friend had given me the first book a few years ago, but I had no interest in the franchise or fantasy in general, so it sat there gathering dust until I picked it up and started reading it on a whim this summer. Now I'm hooked. It's pretty much a soap with all the cliffhangers and plot twists, but it works.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Annual United Way book sale, with hardcovers at $2 and soft covers at $1. The loot:

-The Kauffman book is on complexity at different scales and how it is loving amazing. Probably best read with strong weed.
-Cary Fagan's someone I know IRL so it was fun to email him to brag about the amazing deal I got :)
-Kerouac needs no introduction.
-My wife is a big Montreal Canadiens fan and this copy is in better shape than the one she already had.

I also picked up a cookbook.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

I found Americana by Don DeLillo at a library sale the other day and can't put it down. DeLillo's prose is something to admire.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Just began (and finished) The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit. Awesome underrated fantasy book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rebel Yell, about Stonewall Jackson in the Civil War

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazon have a lot of the British Library Crime Classics- books from the golden age of (detective) fiction on kindle unlimited. There are a lot of classic books caught up in unknown copyright, not yet out of it, purgatory, and the British library has done some sort of witchcraft and is slowly getting them out there. list so far https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90356.British_Library_Crime_Classics I am reading the books on this list.

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

I recently started No god but God by Reza Aslan to complement my recent readings about the history of the modern Middle East. What better way to help understand a region than to learn a bit more about its religions, I asked myself. Anyway, it's taught me more about pre-Islamic Arabia than I ever learned or bothered to learn in high school or college so that's a plus, and the events following Muhammad's death and the struggles to define the role of the Caliph are absolutely fascinating, especially if you're even slightly familiar with how it all turned out when you start reading.

Next on the list is The Forever War by New York Times foreign correspondent Dexter Filkins about semi-recent to recent conflicts with Islamic extremism, from the rise of the Taliban to the war in Iraq and its aftermath.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Picked up a very early set of Dr. Eliot's Five Foot Shelf* for the tidy sum of $2.50 (.05/volume), grabbed The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini and dug in.

Surprisingly readable, and it picks up steam once you begin to differentiate actual accomplishments from juvenile (and completely unnecessary) embellishments. Just when you think the tone has switched to even-handed humility, NOPE, gotta tell you about this random time I stared down some street thugs because my Perseus sculpture just isn't cool enough.

*Eliot's choices and rationale can be second guessed forever by people who did not exist in 1909, but no one can say he didn't deliver five feet. I mean these things fill exactly two IKEA shelves with just the right amount of breathing room.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2001/11/the-five-foot-shelf-reco.html

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 25, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Regenesis by CJ Cherryh, the sequel to Cyteen - so far it's more Cyteen, no surprises, no gimmicks, just flatly more Cyteen as if that book had never ended. Which is good! I like more Cyteen. I am a little disappointed it's not jumping ahead a hundred years to dig into what the plan for shaping societies is about, but hey, I do like Ari 2 and Justin and so on.

Also, as I got 'em for xmas, A Matter of Oaths - it's about an amnesiac starship pilot being ostracized by all the other pilots, and the conspiracy that'll come after him, supposedly. I like the characters so far! Not often you get an older lady as a main character, and while the amnesia thing is old as hell, I like it.

The Dragon Never Sleeps - This book is Warhammer 40k in another jacket. There's a lot of powerful conservative space marines and powerful starships, there's an alien menace that embodies chaos, and there are people caught in the midst of it. I really, really like this, as while it's 40k-esque it's still its own beast, and the imagery the author writes is compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Cobra Commander posted:

Delphi Complete Works of Plato This thing is like 7000 pages. Let's see if I make it even a seventh of the way though this tome.

I have fond memories of that huge Plato book. So many highlights.

• Locked thread