Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Reading Lolita in Tehran has been my bedtime reading the last couple of nights. It's a bit pretentious and tries too hard to be a "literary" book, but the description of the women's lives in the Islamic Republic is pretty compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'm about 80 pages into Old Man's War and enjoying it. Scalzi gets a little cheesy with his jokes sometimes, but now that I think about it the characters are all geriatrics at this point so I guess it's fitting.

Yeah, I found his humor to be really hit-or-miss. When it sucks it really sucks, but I laughed out loud at parts of the book. I didn't like The Ghost Brigades or Last Colony that much, but Zoe's Tale was great. He gave every single goddamn character the same smarmy sense of humor (even the supposedly "out-there" Special Forces) and it really grated on me. It works better in the first person.

• Locked thread