Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Continuing on my history angle, and wanting to know more about the American Civil War, I've just started Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. It was either that or Shelby Foote, and this is a bit more digestible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I just got paid so I bought three books online.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstam

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

arcorn posted:

The Handmaid's Tale is definitely worth it. I got some other Atwood recently, need to start on those.

This will be my second Atwood book, the first being The Blind Assassin which I only just finished recently and loved.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I just started Last Call by Tim Powers. I can see why he regularly gets cited as inspiration for the Unknown Armies RPG

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The people in my book club complained about House of Leaves being too hard a read, so our new book is War and Peace...

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
After an aborted and barely remembered attempt to read it years ago, I've picked back up Mystery by Peter Straub. I'm digging it so far, it's got that whole "real life world's greatest detective" vibe

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
This week I started two books, due to needing a physical book at work and having a kindle at home.

Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle was one of my Christmas presents and so far I'm really loving it. As soon as I realised the nature of the game Trace Italian, I was hooked.

Meanwhile on my kindle I started Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber. I read some of this a long time ago, and coming back to it I'm blown away by how wonderfully written it is.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. I was getting a bit burned out on reading Infinite Jest at work so I wanted to blast through a thriller for something different.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Mr. Squishy posted:

At work you should be working!

Working is for chumps!

Actually I drive dump trucks in a mine and we get periods of sitting still time. And because I'm a fast reader it's more than enough time

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
A friend loaned me Killshot by Elmore Leonard so I've started reading that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Bloopsy posted:

Just started 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm a huge fan of the Mars Trilogy and his first book, Icehenge, so I'm excited to see how this one goes.

Looking forward to hearing how this is, because I'm about halfway through New York 2140 by same. Really digging it so far, it's like... utopian dystopia, I love the way he brings out these elements of the landscape, of esoteric systems, of finding the best in people.

• Locked thread