Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Got fifty pages into The Road tonight. Even though practically nothing has happened, I'm loving it. There's a nasty fire going on where I live right now, so the ashen imagery is particularly poignant to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

And so begins my foray into Infinite Jest.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 16, 2009

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

robomechatronsaurus posted:

please keep us posted :)

this one's in my started pile too

I'm on page 32 so far. I really like it. It's like a mother bird chewed up Gravity's Rainbow and fed it to me in a slightly more digestible and contemporary sludge. It's still challenging, though. I thought it'd be a walk in the park until I got to the part where Hal meets the "professional conversationalist" who I guess is just his father in some elaborate disguise? Maybe?

I also recently bought Ulysses, Mason & Dixon, On Writing, The Sound and the Fury, On the Road, and Lost in the Funhouse.

EDIT: Hit 50 before calling it a night. Yeah, it's definitely getting more intricate, and I like that.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 17, 2009

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

robomechatronsaurus posted:

I'm 160ish. Had a ball with this so far. I know people throw this word around in book reviews a lot, however i really think Wallace has got his head around good pacing.
Really enjoyed some tangent explaining the rise and fall of video calls. << Pretty sure that won't spoil anything

Also, wtf is with the "year of the depend adult undergarment" headers? I'm sure it will all make sense in due course but it certainly is deliciously unconventional. I have theories about the authors reasons for this although I think i'll shut my mouth until I've read more.

Based on James O. Incandenza's Filmography and something I think I read in the David Foster Wallace thread, I think that the year names Are due to the fact that years, in the future, are sponsored by corporate products.

I'm only on page 65 (not including the pages I've gone through in the endnotes). Jesus loving Christ, that filmography. I thought Thomas Pynchon was nuts. How the hell does he pull off something so esoteric and obsessive? Oh man... I... I gotta take a break after reading through that.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Started IJ today-hoo boy, it's a doozy, but I can't wait to read more of it. It feels like a more accessible Gravity's Rainbow from the little bit I've read

It definitely gets more difficult (I wouldn't say as difficult as Gravity's Rainbow gets, though).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

I finally got around to starting in on my copy of Blood Meridian. I'm only 60 pages in, but man, this book does a good job of making me feel stupid. I don't know half the words on any given page. What's a cárcel? A ramada? A weskit? A vernier sight? I just found these examples by skimming over two random pages, mind you. I've been making guesses based on context about words I don't know, and was way off on the first two. None of these words are important to plot, but it slows down my reading when I have to go back to double-check that I didn't mis-read the word, do a quick mental scan of my vocabulary to make sure I don't know the word, then read the text around the word to make a context-based guess.

I don't remember The Road being this taxing on my vocabulary. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Note: I'm not knocking the book, I love the style of writing and the story so far is really engaging. I just wish my vocabulary was larger.

Just started this one too. I'm on page 200. I remember The Road had some uncommon words, but Blood Meridian is just a lot denser (and based in a real historical setting). Still, I've been breezing through it (after slowly digesting Infinite Jest for months, it feels so good to finish a book in just a couple days). I'm definitely going to reread it so I'm not worried about picking up every little detail. With McCarthy I find its more important to get the overall impression he's trying to create with all his beautiful and vexing imagery.

I'm really looking forward to Inherent Vice, and some reviews suggest its his most accessible work, so it could very well be a good starting point for Pynchon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Just bought Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan. Haunting, bizarre, deranged, brilliant. I can't pick just one!

Reading that with Vonnegut's Bluebeard on the side. It's been a while, Kurt. I've forgotten your charms, but they've quickly pulled me back in to your wonderful little world.

• Locked thread