Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I just found a beautiful hardcover copy of Wuthering Heights at a local bookstore- I've always meant to read it, but never got around to it. Now I can! Also, my wife got my Against the Day by Pynchon. Excited about that one, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pocket Billiards posted:

A Wizard of Earthsea

Been playing a lot of RPGs lately and have been reading a lot of dystopian fiction so I thought I'd change it up and have a go at some of the 'fantasy canon' I didn't read as a teenager.

I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way through and it's not grabbing me. I think if I'd picked this book up at 12 I'd have read it in two sittings.

The subject matter is pretty typical of young adult fantasy but the prose is quite formal in the way it's written, seems almost too formal and adult for a story about a teenager with magic powers going to wizard school.

Where are you at exactly? I can't quite remember the pacing but I do remember that the last half of the book takes a pretty significant turn. I read it 5 years ago (at 26) and it seemed to hold up well. YMMV.

• Locked thread