Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Quicksilver, the first book in the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Kind of picked it up on a lark. Also bought the other two books, the ones that have all the books combined. Also The Illuminatus Trilogy I had been curious about this one for a while. So far its pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jimcunningham posted:

Also, I just got 'Long Hard Road Out of Hell' by Marilyn Manson for $6. I've read about 75 pages this afternoon. He's pretty hosed up.

I can't remember where I read it, but most of the stuff in that book was made up, or that is what someone was alleging.

Content:

Prelude to Foundation gonna read the "core books" of the series.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hit up the bookstore got some stuff:

Empress Karen Miller
The Riven Kingdom Karen Miller
Shadowmarch Tad Williams
The Last Wish Andpzej Sapkowski

Not the usual non-fiction/essay stuff I usually get.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just started Hammer of God the third book in a trilogy by Karen Miller. So very good I wish it didn't have to end.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Innocent Mage by Karen Miller, just got done reading her other trilogy. I am also starting Shadowmarch by Tad Williams, hopefully its good.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr Scoofles posted:

I started one of her books, Empress I think it was called, and found the actions of her protagonist to be so outlandish and unbelievable that I sadly had to shelve it. I don't know why but the fantasy genre tests my patience more than any other. I have a slight prejudice in that I imagine a lot of authors in that genre have great imaginations and zero life experience, which is reflected in their work. 'Cool dragons, awful dialogue' kind of thing.

It gets better, and there is not one dragon in the whole book. I say give it another shot, it gets alot better that it fleshes out a whole religion/world and the ending if you make through the trilogy is insane.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks. So far its really interesting and apparently I have been buying Orbits catalog without realizing it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got Mister B Gone by Clive Barker. So far I am conflicted, its an interesting first person fictional account of a demon. I am about 1/4 of the way through and the narrative becomes muddled. Anyone else given this a shot?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thats exactly how I approached it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. So far the beginning is pretty interesting, I know its a series of 4 books and I already bought the 2nd with the third on the way when its released in November.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just bought these:

Return of the Black Company Glen Cook
Chronicles of the Black Company Glen Cook
The Many Deaths of the Black Company Glen Cook
The Blade Itself Joe Abercrombie

Trying the Black Company books based of a recommendation, I have one of the compendiums at home, these round out the set. Also with the Abercrombie book going off a recommendation and because he seems popular in the book barn.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AmericanGeeksta posted:

As mentioned in the Scifi and Fantasy thread, I just started A Song of Fire and Ice's first book, A Game Of Thrones. Its been pretty excellent through the first 40 or so pages :)

I just started this also, watched the show on HBO and thought I better read all the books before the next season.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Read the Night Angel Trilogy and thought it was pretty cool, so I figured why not give this a try. Hopefully he isn't as misogynistic in this one as the earlier trilogy.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Nerdist Way Chris Hardwick. I had no idea that it was a self help book for nerds. I thought it would be filled with stories from the podcast or his tour but nope, its a self help book. I am going to read it anyways.

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit Mark Seal. Pretty interesting so far. A man from Germany assumes the identity of a Rockefeller and gets away with it for a very long time.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground by Kevin Paulson. I am reading it as a follow up to another book I read, Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick because both of them were part of the same story just from different perspectives, so it will be interesting to see how they tell the same story.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Johannes Cabal the Detective finished the first one, thought I might as well read the next two. Hopefully its like the first one in the series and maintains the same tone as the first one.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Help picking my next book. 1984 or Brave New World?

My vote is for Brave New World, I remember reading it for the first time and just falling in love with it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hitch posted:

I just started reading Antifragile - Things That Gain from Disorder.

So far it has been intriguing, but it hasn't really laid anything too utterly groundbreaking out there. Anytime he starts talking about science or medicine and how "antifragile" those fields are, I cringe. I haven't gotten to where he discusses those topics in detail, but I am extremely skeptical from what he has mentioned thus far.

Anyone else read this and have an opinion? Worth a separate thread?

Both of his books are amazing, did you read The Black Swan? Antifragile ties into that book alot. I don't know about a separate thread but it would be nice to have a place to discuss his books and books of this kind such as Oliver Sacks, but I think even that could have its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Well, after posting in the TBB Rec Thread, I've ordered the following:

Anabasis - Xenophon
The White Company - Sir Arthur Doyle
The Black Company - Glen Cook (I'm being real original with the titles I'm buying, it would appear)
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie

Looking forward to finally reading the first two, and am interested to see how TBC pans out, as I'm sure I've seen that recommended by a few people, on here.

However BSC is the one I'm least certain about, as I don't think I've really heard much of anything about him, although it was recommended to me by someone so I thought 'why not' and threw it in the virtual basket. (Ah, the ease of online shopping, eh?) Has anyone here read it, before? I'm curious to know what you think of his work, if so.
I have read Best Served Cold and I enjoyed it, I would recommend reading his First Law Trilogy first (The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings) as Best Served Cold takes place inside of this universe. If you end up liking these, The Heroes and Red Country are set inside the same universe.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 23, 2017

• Locked thread