Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
After reading a few interesting articles and blog posts about the subject online I just ordered The Nine Nations of North America by Joel Garreau on Amazon, along with the similarly themed American Nations: A History or Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard, and Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in North America.

While I wait for them to ship I'm rereading Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Just bought Selected Poems and Selected Non-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges. I already have and love his Complete Fictions and I figured I needed to complete the set. It would be nice if the poetry and non-fiction collections were also complete but from what I understand that would make them thousands of pages long and the Selected volumes are the largest collections of Borges in translation anyway so I'm not going to complain.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I recently returned from a trip to Southeast Asia and while I was there I discovered that there are a ton of cool English language used bookstores in the area, especially in Chiang Mai, Thailand but I also spent time in bookstores in Bangkok as well as in Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. I focused almost entirely on getting books about or from the region that you don't often see outside of it and came back with quite a haul including a couple of things that seem pretty rare based on google and amazon searches.

Anthology of ASEAN Literatures: Epics of the Philippines. Published in 1983 in Manila as part of a series highlighting the traditional oral and written literature of ASEAN member states.
The Glass Palace Chronicle of the Kings of Myanmar. Published in Yangon in 2008 in a limited run of 1000 copies to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the translation.
Letters from Thailand by Botan
Jungle Book: Thailand's Politics, Moral Panic, and Plunder, 1996-2008 by Chang Noi
History of Timor-Leste by Frederic B. Durand
The River's Tale: A Year on the Mekong by Edward A. Gargan. This one's actually a bootleg copy, which personally I'm fine with.
Forest Recollections: Wandering Monks in Twentieth-Century Thailand by Kamala Tiyavanich
Si Phaendin (Four Reigns) by Kukrit Pramoj
Got Singapore: Bits & Pieces from a Dot in the World by Richard Lim
Max Havelaar by Multatuli
Travels in Upper Laos and Siam, with an Account of the Chinese Haw Invasion and Puan Resistance by P. Neis
History of Lan Na by Sarassawadee Ongsakul
The River of Lost Footsteps: Histories of Burma by Thant Myint-U. Another bootleg copy.
Durians are Not the Only Fruit by Wong Yoon Wah

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

That's an impressive haul for sure. Any insight into the book reading/buying culture while you were there?

Well, I don't know about the local book culture to be honest because the shops I went to (except in Singapore and to a lesser extent Malaysia) seemed very heavily oriented toward backpackers and expats. I did get a chance to have a nice chat with the owner of Orn's Bookshop in Chiang Rai which is a great place. He's a German guy who's lived there for years but he says that his business is really down lately, mostly because the advent of ebooks means that most foreigners in the region just aren't looking for physical books to anywhere near the same extent they used to. Personally, while I like ebooks, I greatly prefer physical books while traveling. It just seems more romantic to have an actual book in your hands when you're sitting on an overnight bus through Laos or a train through the Balkans or something like that, you know?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I've been traveling in South America for a while now, stopping in at book shops every now and again to see if they've got anything interesting in English. A few weeks back in Quito I picked up The Heretic by Miguel Delibes (which I enjoyed but thought the translation was a bit lacking and needed proofreading, seriously I've never read a professionally published book with more typos) and The Last Cannibals: A South American Oral History by Ellen B. Basso, which I'm currently reading and really enjoying. It's an academic anthropology book but the majority of the book is direct translations of stories told to the author by Kalapalo tribal storytellers in the Upper Xingu region of Brazil. The stories aren't modified to be easier to comprehend or more accessible to outsiders, the translations are very direct and it's fascinating to see such a different approach to narrative. Today in Lima I picked up Yawar Fiesta and Deep Rivers, both by Jose Maria Arguedas, as well as The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, edited by Carlos Fuentes and Julio Ortega with contributions by Borges, Cortazar, Marquez, and Lispector among others.

• Locked thread