Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Earwicker posted:

I recently started tearing through Nick Hawkaway's The Gone-Away World and man it loving rules.

I just started that as well along with

The Art of War - Sun-Tzu
I bought a set of 12 of Penguin's Great Ideas series and this is the first I'm going through.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Because I had a giftcard and this was just too ridiculous to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I recently read Anansi Boys, how does American Gods compare? I've heard from some people that they are essentially the same story but Anansi Boys approaches it in a more lighthearted way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I just got from Amazon Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea, Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham, and a graphic novel Planetary Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories. I think I am going to start with the Pride of Carthage as my first read of this batch.

Planetary is one of my favorite comics ever, but be patient. The final issue still hasn't been released so the last Volume hasn't been released as a result. It's been on hold for a few years but its apparently been finished now so it will hopefully come out before the end of the year.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Gay4BluRayz posted:

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Don't know a ton about this, but there was a thread here not long ago about it being pretty good. It was 10 bucks, so I won't be broken up if its not fantastic.

I didn't really enjoy this as much as I thought I would, for some reason I thought it was going to be more of a satire than it was. I found myself way more interested interested in the Dr. Impossible sections throughout the book as well. Maybe the fact that I already read comics hurt my enjoyment of it because I had some trouble seeing a lot of the characters as separate from the real characters they're supposed to represent (one character is supposed to represent Superman, another Dr. Strange, etc.).

I just picked up a whole bunch from the bargain section at work and couple others over the past month or so.

The Yiddish Policemans Union, Gentlemen of the Road, and Maps and Legends all by Michael Chabon

The Book of Dave Will Self

After Dark Haruki Murakami

Bang Crunch Neil Smith

2666 Roberto Bolano

Dacap fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 26, 2009

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Finished Breakfast of Champions and I'm 25 pages into Infinite Jest

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just hit up the used bookstore and got

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
You Will Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers
Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
Irvine Welsh Omnibus (Trainspotting, The Acid House, Marabou Stork Nightmares) by Irvine Welsh.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just bought a 16-book Vonnegut lot off ebay. Pretty much all of the Dell Publishers versions with the big "V" on front. I was looking to get the ones I wanted from that publisher as it looks like they are all being replaced by new editions with Vonnegut drawings on the cover over garishly bright colored backgrounds. I don't really like the look of the new ones and I think the older versions are pretty classy. I've only read Slaughterhouse 5 and Breakfast of Champions but I'm looking forward to going through the rest.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Evfedu posted:

Just started (and finished) Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore.
I had no idea Practical Demonkeeping was his first book, and I am so impressed by the guy right now. I've just bought the sequel (You Suck) and rented all his other stuff I could find from the local library.

It's a shame his old publisher/marketing agent insisted on the incredibad covers, as that probably stopped a lot of people from picking up a bunch of funny, warm, entertaining reads.

Just need to find a decent copy of Coyote Blue.

I'm a big fan of Moore as well, Lamb and A Dirty Job are my favorites of his. Unfortunately his new book coming out is going to be another sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends/You Suck, probably just to capitalize of the current vampire trend.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just picked these up at a local used store:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just picked up Painkillers by Jerry Stahl off the bargain table at Chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just started Warren Ellis' Gun Machine. I'm about 100 pages in and so far I like it better than Crooked Little Vein which I think kinda accentuated some of the worse parts of his writing, this is a bit more toned down.

• Locked thread