Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Just started up Rob Bell's What Is The Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Change the Way You Think and Feel About Everything. I've been an atheist for almost half my life but the last few months I've been kinda rethinking things and coming back to religion and Rob Bell's fresh, unique take on Christianity has been a big part of that, between his podcast and the previous books of his that I've read, What We Talk About When We Talk About God and Love Wins: Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived (the guy loves his subtitles). This one's about the context of the Bible that gets missed a lot, between historical/cultural context that would have been obvious to the original audience that would be lost today or nuances in the Hebrew/Greek languages that don't survive translation perfectly intact, etc, a subject that's always fascinated me even when I wasn't religious, so I'm excited to dig in to this one.
yeah lol if i'm ever going to go back to believing in some monotheistic god, rejoin organized religion or shuffle back into a church.
but i do subscribe to the robcast. He has a tender, charismatic voice that makes everything feel ok and likes to play around with the ideas inside christianity in a really cool way. Which really tickles my brain because of the vast volumes of mythology, exposition and catechisms I have stored up from my fundamentalist upbringing (THANKS A LOT MUUUM AND DAAAAD). Let me know your thoughts on his Bible book.

One thing I don't like about him is he evades the actual truth value of his claims by saying "what a boring question- a more interesting one is..." which is like a really dumb dodge because the truth value is important and its pretty obvious he is smarter/has outgrown a lot of the literal stuff but can't let it all go because its his income/social standing.

I just finished season 1 of True Detective so I've just begun to finally read 2666 by the great Bolano himself. Feat. gruesome murders, cartal trouble and... a missing academic with a fervent fan club? We'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread